3 replies to this topic

#1 augal

augal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Locationalabama

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

I have olympic kiln model S18HE  cone 10  240v kiln with bartlett controller.  It has two connected elements that will not heat up when i did the test i found online.. 1 and 3 lit up and 2 and 4 did not.  how to check to be sure it is the element and not the relay before i order parts to fix? I am pretty good with basic wiring and can use amp or ohm meter  ....have pulled cover and there is no obvious issue visible so it is a matter of testing.  i am thinking element failure for a couple of reasons. any advice is welcome.   

#2 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

If 2 and 4 connect to the same relay, then it's probably the relay. You can always do a continuity test of the elements with your meter to see if there's a break. If you're willing to do a test with the kiln panel open and powered up, turn the kiln on and test the outgoing terminals on the relays with your meter.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

[email protected]

#3 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

My husband restores old cars for a hobby, he always tells me it you can't decide between two solutions to a problem.  Start with the easiest and cheapest and go from there.  You may end up with a new part when you didn't need it right now or you may have fixed it.   Denice

#4 alabama

alabama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSlapout

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

If all the elements are the same length they should have the same resistance if you ohmed each one. If its a relay, try finding a part number on it to cross reference. Should be able to find one at an electrical supply store near Auburn.
Good luck!
Alabama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users