Hi everybody,

Some help please.

I've got an exhibition coming up and I want to enter with a sake set. The exhibition is entitled "Pour".  My problem is I've never used or even seen a sake set, so I have no idea what size to make the cups. What's your opinion regarding size, shape, with foot ring or without?

Here is the jug I've thrown

post-65376-0-59995000-1494908390_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Have a good day.

Andrea

post-65376-0-59995000-1494908390_thumb.jpg

Just some quick thoughts. If I was in this situation:

Go to a good sushi place and drink some sake, if you don't drink maybe ask for non-alchoholic(if that is a thing?). This would be the best way to get the experience. I plan on going to a tea ceremony soon for the same reason, I want to know more about the Chawan. My plan is to find an official place and go visit and do the whole process together with my wife. If you don't have a sushi place near by, maybe find some documentary on sake or something so you can see how you hold the bottle when you pour it, how you hold the cups, how you drink out of them. 

Best of luck in your exhibit, please post pictures of your final work and your thoughts, or link the website to the exhibit if they show the entries.

Guest JBaymore

Background stuff for you.................

While there are many serving pieces used for sake in Japan...... the most "traditional" serving piece for é…’) sake (actually more typically called "Nihonshu" in Japan) is called a "tokkuri" which is written 徳利.      The word  é…’) (sake) actually simply means "alcoholic beverage" (it can be all kinds).   From a Westerner.... in Japan they typically will expect you to say "sake" and mean "rice wine"......which is Nihonshu æ—¥æœ¬é…’ .   If you look at the kanji there for Nihonshu....... the first two are the name of Japan..... "Nihon".  And the last one is "alcoholic beverage" (sake).  What we call "sake" is the traditional national beverage of Japan... and is considered "sacred" in the Shinto religion.  Nihonshu has a special place in the heats of most Japanese.

(Unfortunately.... beer is taking over as the preferred drink.  Arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....................)

In the Romaji system of transliterating Japanese to English characters, when you see the double consonant "kk" there, you do a "stop" at the first "k" and then put in another "k" when you start the second half of the word.  So it sounds like TOKE  KUUREE.  It gets this name because of the sound it is supposed to make when poured.  The traditional very narrow neck opening causes the liquid to block air from going into the bottle... causing it to come out ........ tok....tok....tok....tok....tok. 

Tokkuri traditionally hold about 180 - 200 milliliters, but some are a bit larger.  They are typically rather small.. and nest comfortably in the hand when being used to pour.  They are meant to get refilled (from larger storage) frequently.......... because the temperature range for proper serving at the table is important.  When warmed.... it is very close to body temperature.  When chilled it is quite cold.  Fresh tokkuri being presented assure the beverage is properly served as it is consumed.

A very traditional 'sake set' is called shuki or 酒器.  It is a bottle and some cups.

The cups are either of the choko   çŒªå£  or  guinomi  ãã„å‘‘  type.  Choko are quite small....... and typically are more cylindrical or slightly flaring.  (Bigger diameter flat flaring ones are ceremonial and not in common daily usage.)  Guinomi greatly resemble very small Chawan and are quite a bit larger than choko..... but not as large as a yunomi.   

As ceramic art objects relative to pricing......... choko are generally rather cheap and guinomi and tokkuri are quite expensive.  Sake aficionados are as crazy about the serving ware as the drink. 

And it is important to note here that Nihonshu is as varied as "wine" is in France.  There are literally hundreds and hundreds of varieties.  Assuming that "sake" is one thing is like going to France and just asking for "wine".  If you get the chance and can find it in the US ( or wherever outside of Japan).... try different Nihonshu.  They are wonderful.  I can typically judge a Japanese restaurant here in the US by what their Nihionshu offerings are.  If all they list is one "sake",........ and if it is only served hot, likely the place will be not all that authentic in food or quality of food.  Really good Nihionshu is often served cold .... particularly in the summer.  Cheap Nihionshu tastes AWFUL cold.  Good Nihonshu is like good wine.... it can get expensive fast.

Please do not drink the Gekkeikan sake you typically find in the US and assume you like or don't like sake.  it is basically cooking wine!

best,

.......................john

Guest JBaymore

I plan on going to a tea ceremony soon for the same reason, I want to know more about the Chawan. My plan is to find an official place and go visit and do the whole process together with my wife.

Joseph, if you are serious about understanding and making Chawan..... find a branch of Urasenke.... they are all over.  Take classes... don't just attend the typical "group" demonstration ceremony. It takes years to understand "tea" in this context.  I've been on this road for a long time.

Here's a reference for you:  http://blog.nceca.net/what-makes-a-teabowl-a-chawan-now-online

best,

........................john

• 3 weeks later...

I know this post isn't pottery related but I recently watched a documentary on netflix called: Birth of Sake. 

It isn't about the pottery pieces, but more about the process of preserving the original methods for creating sake by hand. It is a really interesting thing to watch how much work goes into it all.

One of the reasons I appreciate the Japanese culture so much is the importance to preserve their heritage.

Anyways, just figured anyone interested in Sake would want to watch this.

Archived