Photo

Qotw: What Do You Listen To While Working In The Studio? Music, Tv, Talk Radio, Silence?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Roberta12

Roberta12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

Like Kelly, I run the gamut on music....I start with loud, fast music, in the a.m.  then slowly start winding it down as the day goes by.  I love Tales of a Red Clay Rambler podcast, and in the evening I entertain myself with BBC dramas and comedies on Hulu...  I liked the  camaraderie of a community studio, but I am ADD enough to know I work better by myself.  And sometimes silence just doesn't cut it for me! 

Roberta

#22 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

I think the reason I like silence so well, is because I hear noise all day at work. Got a touch of tinnitus, after 44 years of hammers, saws, drills, etc. silence is good!
Nerd

#23 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,347 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

I agree, Nerd. Working next door to the sculpture studio where they were cutting things on top of metal garbage cans and I'd go home with ringing in my ears from the noise, I really love silence with a natural backdrop of birds. Heard Sand Hill cranes singing to each other in a rather romantic mating call the other morning. Beautiful. And I live in town where it is still quiet.
Marcia
Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#24 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

General observations about sounds when I am working:

• If there isn't something playing on the radio and I am alone, the voice of the potter talking (occasionally cursing) to his clay may be the only sounds. The clay doesn't mind my pun-slinging and is OK with dad jokes.
  • If the radio is on, it is more likely to be an oldies station.  Thankfully, I define oldie to include any number of classical symphonic works from the 18th and 19th centuries along with any number of 1960's an '70's groups with great horn sections.
  • If I am outdoors and doing (mostly) hand-building...the sound of the waterfall in the pond or the crackle of the fire is all that I need....well, maybe accented by an aluminum can, pop-top-ahhhh combination.
  • If the grands are in the studio with me, the only sounds that matter are the silly laughs that seem to extend right up to the time when a kiddo is siting on the side of the clay sink while Papa is spraying the signs of fun off of arms and legs.

Peace,

-Paul

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Shop Etsy New!
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#25 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationNE Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

At my studio the sound of a busy road is all I hear, at home its the birds and other critters, I love my morning 10oz cup of coffee sitting on the back porch  listening and watching the great outdoors. No neighbors behind us, just a field and trees. I've seen all kinds of four legged and feathered creatures just sitting out there. Its a great way to start the day.

For those like me that have lousy radio stations filled with loud commercials and a few musical interruptions sprinkled about, I have Amazon Prime which includes Amazon Music, 1000s of free albums to listen to or just pick a genre and the songs are non stop. They claim they have 2 million songs to listen to

Ron

#26 Stone Spiral

Stone Spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationKootenay Rockies, B.C

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

I listen to music, mostly Nahko & Medicine for the People (positive, uplifting lyrics) or ambient or folk.

I also do enjoy audiobooks
I have a busy life and do a lot of talking and am often around a lot of people, so occasionally, I actually really revel in the silence. (Like glaze nerd, the "silence" has a lot of beautiful sounds to it - my studio is beside a rushing river with birds chirping and animals wandering by. Yesterday, a hummingbird joined me in the studio for a little while :) )

~* Roxy *~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users