potters stool

Juli Long

My aching back, feet raised on bricks, sitting on pillow, its time to look for a new potters stool. Looking for any good recommendations.

Thanks,

Juli

Hi, I normally go to IKEA an buy the cheapest metal stools they have, the ones with the metal tube legs and just cut them down to size with a hack saw. Its a cheap and easy way to make a couple of stools each with a diffrent pitch.

My aching back, feet raised on bricks, sitting on pillow, its time to look for a new potters stool. Looking for any good recommendations.

Thanks,

Juli

The speedball ST-4 and ST-5 are great stools for a decent price. The potters stool for on wheel (ST-4) is strange to sit on in the beginning, as it slides you forward-this gives you more stability for your arms and such while centering and throwing. The flat ST-5 has a little bit of cushion and is quite durable. I ordered these for the HS a few years back and used both quite a bit before retiring. Creative Industries used to make them, but Speedball now does. I see they are on the big ceramics store site. Myself at home this last time I bought a shower stool with 3 adjustable legs I have the center front leg a little lower than the back two. Not as good as the ST-4 but doable.

Thanks, Juli

I like the Shimpo stool with the adjustable legs. I set the rear legs one notch higher than the front legs, and voila, no more back pain! It's just the amount of tilt that I need.

Clay-King is where I got mine, along with my wheel.

Thanks, Juli

I like the Shimpo stool with the adjustable legs. I set the rear legs one notch higher than the front legs, and voila, no more back pain! It's just the amount of tilt that I need.

I also have a shimpo stool. It has just the right amount of cushion and adjustable legs. Love my shimpo stool! :)

I am also looking for a stool. This word creates images that I don't want. Anyway, I use a hardwood chair with a back. I have a chunk of foam I sit on. I am about to move out of the co-op studio where I have been a member for twenty years. When I let the group know that I was leaving, [big shock!], Harriet said; "Can I have my chair back?". Apparently it is one of a set of four. She has one in her studio as well. I thought they were communal chairs ! So I am moving and I am chairless.

I tried the hardbricks under the legs of my Brent, and might even try cinder blocks, but I am so used to throwing at a certain level that I don't know if I can change. My back hurts when I throw for long, and my right hip is stiff.I might end up throwing standing up. I guess I am getting old.

TJR

• 3 years later...

Years ago, for a couple of bucks, I found a vintage green (1940's or so) armless desk/typist chair that changes height by turning the seat left or right.  I removed the back, but left the casters.  It's comfortable and adjustable, easy to clean and easy to get on and off of because of the casters.  Works great for me.  I've seen them in thrift stores.  

Thanks, Juli

A++ for this. I do this same exact thing. The raised legs in the back force your posture to be perfect. No back pains what so ever. Would love to have the ST1, but I have so many things to get before I upgrade my stool. And the other stool works great for me so far.

I found a broad adjustable shower stool at the thrift store, the front legs are set MUCH lower that the back, with my butt ending up at bat height.  A little angle did not help much, but a real tilt forward means your lower back doesn't have to curl forward because your hips are already tilted that way. angle of hip , low back to thigh bone doesn't close up, stool does that for you.  You are slanted forward but your back stays straight. I put a 2" memory foam cushion on it.

$15.00

So, I go to the thrift stores and find a decent adjustable office chair. As a piece gets taller so can I. Also, these chairs are usually upholstered and padded - a nice benefit as age is starting to creep up. If they get clay on them it's no big deal - just clean off the worst of it. Other options would be to place a dense foam wedge in the seat if you want to sit at an angle. :D

Archived