Alumina Hydrate, Alumina Reactive & Aluminium Hydroxide

Almost Tom  :P

I was making some lidded jars and while none of the lids stuck I had to pop one of them off with a gentle pry. I was planning on adding some alumina to some of the wax resist I've been using. I figured while I'm at it I would buy some to mix up some kiln wash.

Lately I've been purchasing dry materials from one of two places, one of them being US Pigments where I couldn't find Alumina Hydrate. So I went to the other supplier and I read this on their site.

Alumina Hydrate is a source of alumina in glazes. It is more correctly referred to as Aluminum hydroxide, Al(OH)3, but in studios and labs you will frequently hear it called alumina hydrate. It is a fine granular white powder, and because it is hydrated, it remains in suspension in glazes. Small amounts decrease fluidity of glazes. In certain pink glazes, a small amount of alumina hydrate can enhance the color outcome.

I went back to US pigment (they were half the price) and did a search for alumina and found the other two I listed in my first post. I figured I'd ask here first before making a purchase.

This one from US Pigments. 

"I was making some lidded jars and while none of the lids stuck I had to pop one of them off with a gentle pry."

Ummm, nooooooo, don't pry it off, you can easily chip out part of the rim. Tap with a piece of wood on the side of the pot near the rim. If that doesn't work then run the lid under the hot tap and try again, if that doesn't do it then freeze the pot then try, if it still doesn't unstick then run the frozen pot under the hot tap and tap.

Archived