Economical Source For Splash Pans And Supplies?

I finally did it! I found an used Creative Industries Clay Boss at a yard sale for $120! I inspected it, based on some posts here regarding what to look for, and it appears to work great. However, it only came with 1/2 of the old black splash pan. I'm looking online and seeing approx $60 for a new pan. Does anyone know of a more economical source to find a splash pan? It would also be nice to find new supplies too, if there's another great place/resource for that?!

I finally did it! I found an used Creative Industries Clay Boss at a yard sale for $120! I inspected it, based on some posts here regarding what to look for, and it appears to work great. However, it only came with 1/2 of the old black splash pan. I'm looking online and seeing approx $60 for a new pan. Does anyone know of a more economical source to find a splash pan? It would also be nice to find new supplies too, if there's another great place/resource for that?!

Can you post some photos of the wheel?

I have a CI wheel that a friend gave me without a splash pan. I made my own pan from the bottom of a plastic trash barrel. 

If your wheel is similar, I'll post pix of the pan I made.

I also have a Giffen Grip that another friend let me borrow for as long as she wasn't using it (which now may be a permanent loan since she has lost interest in the clay for awhile). My splash pan wasn't tall enough to contain the shavings thrown off during trimming, so I took another dollar store plastic tub, and cut the bottom off it. I use the top part inside my splash pan and can contain the spin off without a problem.

JohnnyK

post-17674-0-50998400-1494425047_thumb.jpgpost-17674-0-44478000-1494427169_thumb.jpgpost-17674-0-94308800-1494427191_thumb.jpgpost-17674-0-33196000-1494427222_thumb.jpgpost-17674-0-56087700-1494427241_thumb.jpgpost-17674-0-59758000-1494427304_thumb.jpgHere are pix of the pan and the pan with the Giffen Grip riser. The grooved ring around the top of the pan is a piece of plastic wire harness used to cover the sharp edge after you cut the trash can. The duct tape helps stiffen the pan after the cutout. 

I designed the pan to make clean-up a little easier since I believe the manufacturer's pan was just a shield rather than an actual pan. The black trash barrel was bought at Home Depot but should be available at any hardware store. The riser was a smaller utility tub bought at Dollar Tree and cut to a height that would contain the shavings from the GG.

Archived