Hi everyone. I hope someone out there can help me. I have just done my first gas firing in sixteen years. Never had an issue before. Set up cones 6,7 and 9. Very slowly raised at 100 dog per hour to 1000 deg c and then reduced for half an hour. Slowly up to 1280 and then soaked for half an hour. Still none of the cones had bent. It's now next morning. Cones remain upright. I am afraid to open the kiln for disappointing results. Does it mean that all my work never reached the right heat eork required. Could there be any other reason the cones didn't bend. Would be so grateful for any help. Thank you.

I hope you have opened the kiln by now. Sometimes kilns stall if the draught isn't working. What did the pots look like. I fired an Olsen wood kiln at Banff, built to exact design. It stalled at 1900 F. Because we were at 6000 Ft above sea level, the chimney was not tall enough to pull the draught. What type of kiln were you firing? Burners, etc?

It isn't the cones, it is the kiln or weather circumstances.

Marcia

If three cones are still straight then that means you did not get to temperature where the cones are.If the cones do not bend then that spot is a cold spot

I always fire until the cones bend as they are the BEST way to judge temps.

The reasons are broad that you did not get to temp.

We would need more info about kiln and burners and chimney to speak about reasons of not getting to temp.

There are two user errors that make cones not work:

1. the tips were broken

2. they were placed straight up instead of at the slight angle given by the manufacturer.

Actually there are few more-if they had gotten wet then dried out. Also if they have air blown on them during the firing like in a forced air flow. These both can make them give false readings

Orton web site lists the errors or they used to.

Archived