Qotw: The Power Grid Has Gone Down In Your Area A...

Pres: I have been off the cell phone grid for the most part to begin with. I have never sent a text, or twittered, or whatever else they do with phones. I was thinking of those who live on them and by them. My niece misplaced hers at Thanksgiving last year and went into a total melt down over it. Then again, both of us are old enough to remember rotary phones. Society has gotten very dependent on their gadgets.

Nerd

Guest JBaymore

The better question: the grid goes down for a year and the battery on your cell phone is dead in 24 hours: now what?

PANIC! Arrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................................

Yeah, the change that our grandparents saw in their lives is nothing compared to what we have seen. I say that not using parent, because at 90 my Dad is still alive. . . just drove his motorhome up from Florida. He does not use a smart phone either, whereas I do, just don't use it for a whole lot other than text and phone. I do have wonderful level app on it though that comes in handy often . 

best,

Pres

The cell phone discussion is interesting. I know it wasn't a main focus of the question, but I don't use my cellphone for more than pictures, calling, rarely text and the occasional GPS when I am going some place I don't know. Are we potters just old school or something? I might be the odd one here, but I am 32 and I find all the technology of the world distracting. It is too much consumption and not enough creation IMHO. 

I do like power though. I wouldn't want to be without power for a year. I have lived without power for weeks before when we had bad weather in the mountains at my old homeplace and it just isn't fun. Melting snow over the fireplace for warm baths, putting all your groceries in the snow. No thanks!

Edit: Just saw Chris's post. Hilarious.

Wood fire is restricted during dry and forest fire season in Red Lodge.So be cautious as only you can prevent forest fires since Smokey and the rest of the forest service are ?

I use to fire raku with wood, barrel, and pit fires, cow dung too. Lots of that in Montana.Also lots of earthenware and slips available for the digging.

Marcia

Guest JBaymore

Also lots of earthenware and slips available for the digging.

My problem would be getting clay if the whole "dystopian thing" came down.  I'd have to switch to earthenware.  There is no high fire clay in all of NH.  The glaciers scraped all of the more primary clay deposits down to the mid-Atlantic states.  We have mainly glacial moraine clay.  Should have kaolin here, by rights.  "The Granite State" and all that.

best,

......................john

We do have more protection against this sort of thing, but there has always been uncertainty about what an advanced solar flair could do to our electronic infrastructure. I lived in Georgia in the late 60's. We got hit by a major ice storm that put down power lines across the county. No electric-no heat, cooking was problematic, as was any communication. Thank goodness my parents camped at times and had some gas operated gear.

best,

Pres

Pres:

It has happened before: 1859 to be exact. Back then a solar storm fried all the telegraph wires.  Imagine what would happen now?

Nerd

I recall this event I could not get a response to my morse code call then.I even had 5 bars-

meaning I had gone to 5 bars before the call.

I always thought  the outage was an uprising now I know it was a storm .

I always learn something new every day.

I could easily live without my flip phone, I just use it as a phone.  Speaking of power outages western Kansas got hit this weekend  by a freak spring blizzard,  They said 20,000 people are still with out power and have16 inches of snow to deal with.  They are tough cattle ranchers in that area and can handle it.  I am just glad we took our vacation a week earlier or we would have been caught in the middle of it driving home.  Denice

Archived