Low Fire Clay

Potter3ee

This might sound like a silly question. Ive worked with high fire clay so far - so I bisque to cone 05 and glaze fire to cone 5.

I want to use some low fire glazes and im not sure on how to fire it. My question is how do you fire clay that has a firing temp of 1000-1250 celcius with low fire glaze. I would prefer to bisque fire first and then apply glaze instead of applying glaze to greenware. What temperature do I bisque to? and what temperature do I glaze fire to?

Oh also, any suggestions for a low fire pure white dipping glaze that doesn't run? ( I use amaco celadon C-10 snow for cone 5 dipping which is amazing - so any low fire suggestions similar to this)

My question is how do you fire clay that has a firing temp of 1000-1250 celcius with low fire glaze

The technical answer: you don't. That said, you can low fire-high fire clay as long as you understand that the clay body will perform poorly. The absorption rate will be above 10%, and certainly not viable for use in functional ware. The COE value will changes as well because an immature clay body is expanded.porous: so that will cause additional glaze issues. Bisq to 04, and perhaps experiment with cone2-3 with extended holds. The problem will also be low fire glazes have different fluxes, and in higher percentages. Some low fire glazes will tolerate higher cone firings, others will not. I would certainly apply thinner because the additional heat will make them more prone to running. Perhaps put scrap tiles or broken kiln shelves, or even old fire bricks under them to catch glaze run off. You can do what you are asking about; but it is not advisable.

Nerd

Archived