Is It Possible To Fix Broken Work?

Vast majority of the time, if something is broken that I've made, I toss it and make a new one. But sometimes there's that one piece that you just can't let go, or a piece that you bought that just slipped out of your hands. I know about kintsugi, which is beautiful, but does anyone know of a way that it might still be possible to use the piece after putting it back together? I've tried to research food safe epoxy, which does exist, but I haven't seen any practical applications of it.

Guest JBaymore

You can use pieces that have been repaired by the kintsugi process.  Japanese lacquer is food safe and gold is basically inert..   The issue is learning to work with it.  The urushi is a serious allergen and the process is very fussy about humidity when curing the lacquer. Also you need to use the real gold.,... not the look a likes.

"Western Kintsugi" can be done with food grade epoxy... and real gold powder or gold leaf. 

best,

.................john

I've seen at least one large-ish ceramic bowl repaired with metal staples, I think this was on the antique roadshow. How they did it without breaking the bowl further I have no idea but it was an interesting look, like the way they used to repair useful wooden bowls with the same thing, or with rawhide stitching.

Also there is paperclay which I've yet to use and someone else might be able to say yes/no. I've heard it can be used on bisqueware.

I've seen at least one large-ish ceramic bowl repaired with metal staples, I think this was on the antique roadshow. How they did it without breaking the bowl further I have no idea but it was an interesting look, like the way they used to repair useful wooden bowls with the same thing, or with rawhide stitching.

Archived