Studio Clean Up Question ( Wheel Throwing )

I have a really weird question I hope someone can answer. Okay so I tend to use a lot of water when I'm throwing on the wheel and it can get really messy. So I use old t-shirts and towels to constantly clean up my hands, arm, wheel... Anyway my question is; what would a good way be to wash the clay infested linens? I don't think putting them in my washer would be a good idea since I dont want to clog my pipes with Clay?

On a side note ...

some people throw with lots of water and some people use less ... the main thing is not to let the water stand in puddles inside the pot or around the base ... sponge down your work area more often if you use lots of water ... work quickly.

I've seen good potters who work both ways ... granted you don't want to drown the pot ... but you also might enjoy the feel of a slick surface.

On a side note ...

some people throw with lots of water and some people use less ... the main thing is not to let the water stand in puddles inside the pot or around the base ... sponge down your work area more often if you use lots of water ... work quickly.

I've seen good potters who work both ways ... granted you don't want to drown the pot ... but you also might enjoy the feel of a slick surface.

Thank you for that!  Robert Piepenburg was my professor in colloge for ceramics and design. He always made a point to teach the importance of keeping a clean work space, clean tools and a clean studio. I've learned with experience that by keeping all aspects of my work space organized and clean really does help to keep the vigor a drive to create strong. I think when throwing same is true. Keeping the pots clean gives them strength.

Guest JBaymore

I use a lot of water, but I throw quickly. They key is to get it centered and pulled up quickly, then you don't really need any water for shaping so you can take your time at that point.

Neil cut to the chase on that.

best,

..............john

laundry? why do you need to do laundry except your own clothes.

my towels i hand wash in the bucket of water and rinse and that's as far as i go. once in a while i'll throw them in the laundry. 

wheel i wipe off with a sponge.

Archived