#21 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

Marcia,

Interesting that you chose the kidney rib, and that you posted after I had posted the answers. This would pose your disagreement with the answers. Interestingly enough, I also would have opted for the metal kidney rib, as I used to find it very useful when throwing, later finding that I only needed it for very few things.  As I look at these questions, and the books, I find a lot of things that could stimulate discussion, but as yet I have not had any one argue about answers. Maybe that will come. I am glad that you posted an answer based on your knowledge, which I bow to. :)

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#22 Sputty

Sputty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

It's true that Simon does wander about a bit (*cough*) in his videos, but I've met countless beginners who love him for it - his enthusiasm and insistence that people can just get on and give it a go is very supportive and encouraging to those less than sure of their own abilities.

It's an interesting contrast to the slightly austere, scholarly nature of his grandfather, and one I've always tried to adopt when teaching; it's certainly a good approach when dealing with children.

#23 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:55 PM

I am liking this PQOTW a lot. I am trying not to angst over how much of my training/education in high fire ceramics I simply can not call up now (due to minor brain damage) and having sold off most of my foundational books (except Lawrence & Rhodes-but I'm not "doing" the chemistry at this time anyway. I am enjoying re-learning some things via these easy-to-take snippets.

Lee Ustinich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users