Can't Throw, Can Extrude

Going to Potter's camp in August.  

Need to take 20-30 pots.  What, how many, that's 2 years work slab-building.

Dad, can you make me some hollow dies for my extruder please?  For my birthday?  Please?

Thank you to other half for the first (prototype/test) and to Dad who is now making some more.

gallery_59202_704_417573.jpg

gallery_59202_704_630600.jpg

gallery_59202_704_168302.jpgPicture shows three curvy extrusions stuck together and two single pots.  They were quite wet at this point, with no bottoms.  Now cleaned up and slowly drying under plastic

Awesome! What extruder are you using!

I used to enjoy using the Bailey at school, we did some really cool projects. Started with simple lidded fireplace match boxes, then went to Crooked houses, crazy plumbing and other things . . .lots of fun.

Good luck.

best,

Pres

Pretty neat.

is it muscle powered or hydraulic?

Muscle-powered.  Luckily t'other half does the muscle-y bit and the cutty-off bit, and I do the catchy bit and take them into the greenhouse and find somewhere to put them.  The extruder is bolted onto the outside garage wall when in use, and lives in a corner of the greenhouse when not .

Have you considered a hydraulic bottle jack?  They sell for $15US-$20US

attachicon.gifjack2.jpg

attachicon.gifjack.jpg

What, and make the other half think he's not needed?  Maybe when he's no longer capable, but by then I probably won't be either!

:lol: :lol:

Would love some more info about this bottle jack thingie relative to extrusion of clay. What does it do, how does it work, what are the benefits/limitations regarding clay---I know nothing! 

Its just a car jack that can lift 4 tons. My thought was instead of pulling the handle to extrude the clay one could use a hydraulic bottle jack to push clay through an extruder.  Since Chilly's dad could make a die I figured he could rig it up to work.

Basically instead of pulling the handle to push down the piston one would use the jack to do that

“Making a Bumper-Jack Extruderâ€, Pottery Making Illustrated, Winter 1999, pages 30, 31. Also reprinted in Pottery Making Techniques, American Ceramics Society, 2004.

http://www.farmpots.com/studio.htm

Check David Hendley's website to see his bumper jack extruder. Could be adapted to a pneumatic one.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered my extruder 10 days ago, I'm waiting anxiously for it!! I can't wait to make parts for a totem pole and wall pockets for flowers!! I think I'm going to order the extruder video from here, also.

Great die!! Love it!! I ordered the hollow ones, cause I torment my husband enough with making things for me!!

nancy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived