• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dangerouspottery

dangerouspottery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

Apologies if this has been covered in other areas -- but I'm looking for advice on buying a white tent to use for the outdoor craft show season.

I'd like a 10x10, white, rain-resistant (if not totally waterproof), and most importantly, easy to transport and set up by myself.  (Sometimes I have help, and sometimes I don't.)

I've read dozens of reviews on Etsy/Amazon, and gone through some of the posts here -- the leading contenders at this point are Undercover, EZ Up, or Caravan.  Would like to spend $200 or less.

Can anyone offer advice on what to buy or what to avoid?

Many thanks, in advance.

Karen

#2 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,125 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

Years ago, I had an EZ Up, and it held up very well for me doing over 7 years of craft shows. It only failed one time, when used for a wedding reception where the people that put it up did not have it level or staked in the wind. Blew over and bent one of the cross members. They had to replace it.

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#3 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

I have two tents, and pop-up for doing one-day shows and a Light Dome for doing multi-day shows.

My pop-up is an Undercover, and I am really pleased with it. I chose it over other pop-up models because the the roof is vented at the peak. I think that makes a big difference in how the wind will affect it. All of its parts work very smoothly, and the carrying case is great too.

All pop-ups in the $200 range are somewhat vulnerable, compared to the $1000 tents, but all tents can be helped a lot by having proper weights on the corners. Any tent can become a kite when not properly weighted. The amount and type of weights you need depends on your region and the types of shows you are planning to do.
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#4 dangerouspottery

dangerouspottery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thank you both for the feedback -- i really appreciate it.  Mea, you're the second person to endorse the Undercover so now I'm leaning that way.  How does your Undercover tent do in the rain?

#5 GEP

GEP

• Moderators
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:46 PM

The last time I used it there was a downpour for about an hour, and it did not leak at all. I have the lightest-weight model of an Undercover, and I think some of their sturdier models are built more weather-proof than mine. Lucky for us, pottery does not get damaged by water anyways.
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery

#6 dangerouspottery

dangerouspottery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

Absolutely. Thanks again for the help! 

#7 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,230 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

I own 3 easy ups-One is new in box as backup. I like the lighter weight ones.I use heavy corner weights-I like a FAST setup and take down-I often have a double booth so two canopies are the norm at those shows.

I'm not familiar with undercover brand.

I think in the midwest and and east when serious weather sets in the light dome and similar brands (not popups) is a better set up-it just takes longer.I never bought them.

I do not use a canopy at every show. I do two local shows and do not use them-One show in a park in a small town out of state and I do not use one assist a safe (no theft area) and under a huge shade tree.

I think the Costco Caravans are not made very well for long term use.

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#8 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

there is one thing you need to have with you with whatever tent you get.  a tape measure.  if the tent is 10x10 make sure the posts are inside that measurement.  also pull down the zipper at least 6 inches so if it does start to rain, you are not trying to zip a 10x10 tent onto poles 10 feet plus an inch or two on each corner.  

wonder how i learned that..................... :wacko:

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#9 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

I would never go to a show with a $200 canopy. They just aren't strong enough. I've been using a  Caravan popup for the last 6 years, but it's worn out and needs replacing. THIS is the canopy I'm buying this week. It's going to cost me $800, but it's got 2" legs, 1.5" cross bars, aluminum brackets, and is totally waterproof. I would also never use a popup without additional stabilizer/cross bars. You can get them from Flourish and they're worth every penny. They make your booth way more stable. Even the heavy duty canopies won't survive without them. You'll also need heavy weights for the corners so your booth doesn't blow away in wind. I use 35lb. cast iron dumbbells. You really can't go cheap when it comes to your booth. Even with all that I've had my popup crumpled in 80 mph winds, although it didn't blow away, unlike many of my neighbors. Several heavy duty canopies got crumpled that day, too.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

[email protected]

#10 GEP

GEP

• Moderators
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

Location really matters in this case. Neil is in the midwest where the weather can be unpredictably severe. He needs to be prepared for anything. I'm in the midatlantic where things are more predictable. For a one-day show where the forecast looks reasonable, I feel totally comfortable with my $200 pop-up. For multi-day shows, I will use the sturdier Light Dome, because its dicier to rely on a forecast for more than 8 hours. And unlike Mark C., I don't think I can ever go canopy-free, but his climate is different too.
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery

#11 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,230 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

I go canopy free in my local shows when there is no weather other than the usual fog then clearing. The temperature is in the 60's so shade is not needed.My works looks best in sunlight.In 43 years I have used a canopy maybe 3 times during rain locally.

I do use a canopy or two in 80% of all other shows.

The show in a park where I do  use one out of state can be just plain to windy to have a canopy-The shade is the huge tree and I can walk away with pots out and not have theft. Its a unique setting and in most places in the USA you cannot leave your work out as some of it can disappear overnight.

I use side panels for security at night-mine are custom made and a bit wider with more velcro than standard models.They cost $75 each15-20 years ago and they are still working great I have 6 of them-bigger heavy-duty zippers.

I wish I have bought more as these may not last my whole career .

My corner weights are killer heavy and made from lead filled steel tubes.

I suggest solid square steel stock  2x2 for weights -about 36-40 inches long with a eye wielded on the end or a hole drilled thru the stock with a rope loop.To attach canopy to hold it down.

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users