20 replies to this topic

#21 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,125 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

I am very happy to see that there is some contentious discussion of this issue. I will not say that I had chosen that question and answer with a crystal ball, but I did see that there were problems saying melting anything together would make a frit. Interesting point/question is a definition of frit. So I returned to Internet searches on the definition of frit. . . . . . before ever posting the question. Here is the best thought I could find, and it comes from a source I usually think reliable. . . Ceramic Arts Daily:

Combinations of ceramic materials that have been melted to a glass and crushed/ground back to a powder, in order to give greater chemical stability and to eliminate toxicity resulting from water solubility of raw material. All frits are ground glass and are toxic in inhalation. FERRO 3124—high-alumina calcium-borate frit, gives greater strength in LT claybodies. FERRO 3134—calcium-borate frit often used as substitute for Gerstley borate in low-fire glazes when greater reliability and/or long-term insolubility and/or greater transparency are desired. Makes good cone 04 transparent glaze by itself. FERRO 3110 and 3195—Both very similar to 3134—run tests to determine which works best for your needs. Source: Clay: A Studio Handbook

Happily,

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users