Throwing Away Rejects / Test

Hello there,

Question here.. Is there a responsible way of throwing away pottery? So many rejects and tests piling up taking up space in the studio. I'd like to throw them away but in a way that it could reused if possible. Is there a place that collects ceramic to be used as tile, or made in powder for other industrial uses? ..etc.

Guest JBaymore

Fired ceramic waste is some of the most "stable" waste that humans produce.  Basically.... you are making metamorphic "rocks" with an igneous rock coating. 

Find a mosaic artist as Neil said... or find a low spot on your property that needs filling in.

Like most human activities...... we are not immune from producing a waste stream.

best,

...................john

all my test tiles are actual things. bowls or cups or pencil holders or planters. 

at the end of the semester i put them in a box with a free label and put it out on the street or a friend's street which sees more traffic. there is never anything left. 

in class i have learnt someone's reject is another person's treasure (i have a couple of them myself)

that is the reason why i make things to use as tiles. 

Guest JBaymore

Bury them deep in your back yard... in 1K years some archeologist will  go crazy over his or her find!!!

................and make erroneous conclusions about our culture.   ;)  

best,

........................john

(Question here.. Is there a responsible way of throwing away pottery?)

Yes there is-as mentioned a mosaic person who reuses the pieces is best but a long shot. 

I had a guy for years take it away-he moved -I looked for another but they wanted low fire easy to cut work. Hi fire porcelain was not easy to cut.

Since then I have a place very near me that makes road base from old cement or ceramics or anything non organic. This replaces recycle industrial concrete from demo jobs and new concrete from over-runs. They are all over this country-you just need to research this out for one near you.All my pots either cracked bisque or high fir become road base along with toilets-china and mostly old asphalt and concrete.Its free to drop off.

Archived