Qotw: Is It Craft Or Is It Art

Both. When I look at a piece and know I and many others could make something very similar it is kind of a craft thing. When I see a piece and it is illustrated or craved intricately knowing the person spent a good deal of time it is art; functional or not. Yes there is what I would consider good craft/art and bad craft/art. I say I am a craftsman.

I may not consider myself an artist (yet) but I do recognize that in other works woodworking, silversmithing, leatherwork, photography, culinary, many areas.   I like Marcia's comment the best, though,  "calling oneself an artist because of the medium seems to be ridiculous"

Roberta

Guest JBaymore

We use the term "art" in many settings. Think "the art of practicing medicine" as an example. Medicine can be very "cook book" and can give acceptable results if you just follow the recipe. Those who excel in medicine and other fields have the almost indefinable ability to step beyond technical expertise and apply a mix of intuition, perceptive abilities, creativity and a host of other qualities that I believe you either have or don't have. Maybe those qualities can be developed and improved, but if the kernel isn't there, there's nothing to expand upon.

A term often used in this context, when it comes to art making, is "high touch".

best,

....................john

I gave a talk at NCECA in 2001 on "Why Make Pots in the last 1/4 of the 21st Century; Some Answers for Michael Cardew"

In our panel this topic was somewhat discussed. There is a book which I found as a good reference, "The Culture of Craft" which is a series of articles and monographs discussing this. Very good reading.

Marcia

Marshall McLuhan wrote that art is what you can get away with.

Picasso designed...well, just about everything.  But when he designed an etching, someone else made that etching plate and printed it.  That someone else was, without a doubt, practicing a craft.  Same with the carvers who made marble statues from clay prototypes.  No one would argue that Picasso was an artist (except those who dislike his work).

I have recently made some covered urns that could be used as cookie jars, but are not intended for use at all.  I am also an art college grad.  So am I an artist or an artisan?  I usually think of myself as a person who makes things, not an artist or a craftswoman.

Cynthia

"Art is the early warning sign of the culture." (Richard Carlyon professor emeritus/deceased School of ARTS/VCU)

Probably my favorite quote about what art is. We're rapidly yanking money out from under the NEA, dismantling art education and killing off opportunities for people to pursue training and education in crafts/craftmanship. Yep---early warning signs. 

I always remember the following quote when this question comes up. I often find it interesting what other people call us. I have a friend who is a painter. She refers to what I do as art. Others who only buy "art" would more likely call me a potter....or craftsman. If I were to take the quote as a truism then looking at this forum and the discussion surrounding all facets of this art it would be hard to conclude we all don't work with our heart. Therefore, we are artists all.

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.â€
― Francis of Assisi

Marshall McLuhan wrote that art is what you can get away with.

Picasso designed...well, just about everything.  But when he designed an etching, someone else made that etching plate and printed it.  That someone else was, without a doubt, practicing a craft.  Same with the carvers who made marble statues from clay prototypes.  No one would argue that Picasso was an artist (except those who dislike his work).

I have recently made some covered urns that could be used as cookie jars, but are not intended for use at all.  I am also an art college grad.  So am I an artist or an artisan?  I usually think of myself as a person who makes things, not an artist or a craftswoman.

Cynthia

I took a course in Art School , The Psychology of Creativity. Great class.It was offered in combination with the students from the Music Academy in Phila. Marshall McLulan's "The Medium is the Message" was the text.-'60s

Marcia

Archived