Wheel Quit Working

I have a couple of wheels in my studio, all different makes and models so they each have their own way of being maintained/repaired.

My Kemper Clay Devil, the one I use for kid's classes, has decided to quit on me!

I have tried plugging in to different outlets, so I know it's not the power. (Also plugged other things into the same outlet and it works)

The wheel was working fine, and then I did a wet mop of the floor. The pedal got wet, but really... not that much? It's not like it was flooded, and no more than usual when I mop?

Anyways, I am going to take it apart today and see if maybe something got bumped or dislodged or... somehow jumps out as obvious to my non-mechanical brain.

If anyone has any tips or ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue, I would be grateful!

~ R

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

Can you provide photos of the piece? If you can't get the part from Kemper, you have 2 choices: have the part remade by someone handy enough to do it or try a foot pedal from a different manufacturer...

JohnnyK

Or see if you can get someone with a 3D printer to print a new one.

best,

Pres

Do you know anyone with a 3D printer?  They could make you a copy of your part.  My son and his wife moved to the island of Palau and took a 3D printer with them so they could print out anything they needed.  You should have several printed I don't know if the plastic is as strong as the plastic used by the manufacturer.    Denice           Pres we must have synced our brain waves posting about 3D printers at the same moment. 

Plastic parts are blessing and a curse,  recently a plastic part in the stick shift of my PT Cruiser broke and left me stranded in the middle of the road.  After a tow truck ride home my husband ran to the parts store and the car fixed in 10 minutes.   Blessing and a curse.    Denice

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. i want to apologize for not expressing myself clearly. My problem is not with the foot pedal but with the motor which is burnt out. Kemper no longer stocks parts and are unable to direct me to a supplier of the original motor. 

I just bought a used Brent wheel off of E-bay.  The man I bought it  from had bought it with a burn't out motor.  He said he ordered a new motor from Brent and it cost him $400.  He used the wheel for a few times and decided throwing was not for him.   With the cost of replacement motors being so high you may just want to look around for another wheel.   Denice

$400!!! Holy cow, you are probably right. Finding another wheel would be cheaper than that.  My thinking was that this is a really small motor and so maybe there would be a cheaper solution. I read on some site that it's maximum weight load is only 8 lbs and the motor is 1/15 hp so it seems pretty small. I won't give up yet.

Brent motors from Brent are way overpriced.

You have two options as Neil said find the specs on the motor plate and then find a similar motor with the same mounting bracket or one that you can adapt. This is a key point

Option two just need to take it to an electric motor repair shop and they can find you a replacement .

Archived