Grinding and polishing

We use a dremel tool to clean glaze drips and kiln wash from the bottom of pots, but we were thinking of getting a grinder to make this job easier. It would also be nice to polish the bottoms of pieces and to be able to do some kiln shelf cleanup, too.

From posts here and on the old clayart board, some people use bench grinders to clean and then polish the bottoms of pieces. This would be nice because some of our clay is a little rough and it's not practical to polish the bottoms of our pices with the dremel, but I don't know how a bench grinder would work for kiln shelves. Other people use angle grinders for kiln shelf maintenance, but I don't see how you would use an angle grinder on your pieces.

Any suggestions for something that can be used on our pots and also on kiln shelves?

Thanks in advance for any advice and experience.

Larry

I got a diamond grinding disk made for lapidary use, and glued it to a plastic bat. I grind the bottoms of Crystalline pots on that, with a water drip keeping the grinding disk wet. It might be overkill for what you need, and it wouldn't do diddly for kiln shelves. I've seen a thing advertised lately called a "Glaze Eraser" that is sort of the same thing.

Archived