Qotw: Participants Question Pool For Future Qotw's

I just opened up my new Ceramics Monthly (what a great magazine- and I see you have another article published, Pres!) and saw on page 20 a first exhibit by Anna Whitehouse called #100bottles100days. 

This made me wonder whether anyone here, at any time in your practice, undertook something like this, an item made in different versions over a course of a large number of days. I know people who have done a painting a day or a drawing of a nude each day...

If so, what was your specific objective in the exercise?

When I took a JC Raku class, I was required to sculpt a modernized version of a Xian Warrior. The requirement was that we use an existing warrior and modify it to reflect how we see ourselves and our current life situation in clay. I chose to show myself as a farmer since I do have a "hobby" farm. (No, I don't grow hobbies...). 

My question is: How do you see yourself in clay?

Here's what I came up with:

1276207565_JohnWarriorsm.jpg.a03f9bfdf1387abb389c91cee28c41d5.jpg

9 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

When I took a JC Raku class, I was required to sculpt a modernized version of a Xian Warrior. The requirement was that we use an existing warrior and modify it to reflect how we see ourselves and our current life situation in clay. I chose to show myself as a farmer since I do have a "hobby" farm. (No, I don't grow hobbies...). 

My question is: How do you see yourself in clay?

Here's what I came up with:

1276207565_JohnWarriorsm.jpg.a03f9bfdf1387abb389c91cee28c41d5.jpg

• Pres unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:30 AM, Chilly said:

Here's a question for you:

Do you think you have helped, or been helped more by people in the flesh, or by forums, or by You-Tube?  Pottery-wise, not your whole world.

All of the above!

^ good question dh

Thinkin' 'bout Mark's question raises (for me):

What type of mentor/mentee (wow, "mentee" actually dictionary word*) experiences have you had in wheel?

From how long to learn to how.

Wheel instruction in the two classes I've had consisted of brief demonstrations, then go to it. Students who had questions or were obviously struggling got one on one and/or small group instruction. I'm not complainin' - I'd rather toodle and stumble along than get instruction that don't fit me; that said, perhaps timely and appropriate mentorship may have helped? May help in future?

Any road, my mentor is a motley of visual (realtime and video), print, stills. In the other direction - I'm no one's mentor in wheel!

*a manatee learning from another would be a manatee mentee, and same who'd ordered tea would be a manatee mentee who meant tea, and... 

Edited by Hulk
type o

• 2 weeks later...

Silly* studio details/thing(s) overlooked - how did I not see't?

...bought a cheap-ish 2000g digi scale last July, just noticed that it was miscalibrated to display 1/2 grams! Either I never calibrated it, or (more likely) used one of the two 200g weights to calibrate it last July.

It does what it's told to do.

For test batches of glaze, it's proportions that count, so no harm there. What jumped out at me this week: at first, thought the cheap-ish 100 ml graduated cylinder I bought was wrong, haha, as 100 ml of water weighs 200g? No matter, weight of glaze/weight of water for same volume yields specific gravity, but why is scale "wrong," hmm?

The good news bein' all them balls of clay weighed out these last eight months were half the weight me "thought" - hence why my pots so small for the weight of clay concerns evaporated like morning mists ...hrmm, mebbe the foot tall three poun' cylinder club me can join sooner over (much much) later?

*Silly as in obvious and outcome mostly harmless; that said, should members wish to recount drastic/tragic scenarios, go to it - if any tragedy could be averted, it'd be worth't

ojeez.JPG

On 3/19/2019 at 8:39 AM, Hulk said:

Silly* studio details/thing(s) overlooked - how did I not see't?

...bought a cheap-ish 2000g digi scale last July, just noticed that it was miscalibrated to display 1/2 grams! Either I never calibrated it, or (more likely) used one of the two 200g weights to calibrate it last July.

It does what it's told to do.

For test batches of glaze, it's proportions that count, so no harm there. What jumped out at me this week: at first, thought the cheap-ish 100 ml graduated cylinder I bought was wrong, haha, as 100 ml of water weighs 200g? No matter, weight of glaze/weight of water for same volume yields specific gravity, but why is scale "wrong," hmm?

The good news bein' all them balls of clay weighed out these last eight months were half the weight me "thought" - hence why my pots so small for the weight of clay concerns evaporated like morning mists ...hrmm, mebbe the foot tall three poun' cylinder club me can join sooner over (much much) later?

*Silly as in obvious and outcome mostly harmless; that said, should members wish to recount drastic/tragic scenarios, go to it - if any tragedy could be averted, it'd be worth't

ojeez.JPG

Good thing you're a philosopher, Hulk. Can't wait to see those next pots!!

Drastic/Tragic Learning Experiences - good topic 

Edited by Rae Reich

I recently bought a new wheel, going from a 1960s shimpo rk-2 to a new tank/Skutt prodigy, which is their entry level wheel.  The difference in throwing between the two is like night and day.  Previously I was quite happy with my rk-2 since it was the only wheel I had used in school and once I bought my own, but its got me wondering now... What else am I missing out on?  Is there some piece of equipment or tool that made such a huge difference to the quality of work, and quality of time, that you wished you had found out earlier?  

18 hours ago, liambesaw said:

I recently bought a new wheel, going from a 1960s shimpo rk-2 to a new tank/Skutt prodigy, which is their entry level wheel.  The difference in throwing between the two is like night and day.  Previously I was quite happy with my rk-2 since it was the only wheel I had used in school and once I bought my own, but its got me wondering now... What else am I missing out on?  Is there some piece of equipment or tool that made such a huge difference to the quality of work, and quality of time, that you wished you had found out earlier?  

For teaching, I wish I would have known about the Giffin Grip earlier.  It's invaluable, in my classroom.  I want the students to have experience trimming, but we don't have time, for them to get good at tap centering. 

I had never heard of the Giffin Grip, until my second teaching job, where they had one.  I said, "What is that, and why am I just finding out about it?!"

When I took the job, at my current District, I bought one, within the first year. 

Also, Xiem makes a bevel cutter, which is amazing for the slab boxes, my students make.  Prior to that, students either eyeballed the 45, or I had wood templates, they set on the slab, and then ran their knife along to cut the angle.  The Xiem tool is WAAAAAAY easier and more intuitive.

Tools, that a good'n, e.g. banding wheel - which was just thinkin' (uh-oh) yesterday has moved from someday to need it now* - which most all can be done on the wheelhead, but anywhere one wishes to move the banding wheel to, e.g. at eye level.

I'd like to try a Giffin (or Bailey's version? discuss?); that said, my nerves/damage don't do tap centering, however, line up visual, then turn/scribe, move, repeat is gettin' faster for me, typically one or two moves does it.

*now that I'm glazing/waxing dozens of pots at a go instead of a few at a time...

1 hour ago, Hulk said:

Tools, that a good'n, e.g. banding wheel - which was just thinkin' (uh-oh) yesterday has moved from someday to need it now* - which most all can be done on the wheelhead, but anywhere one wishes to move the banding wheel to, e.g. at eye level.

I'd like to try a Giffin (or Bailey's version? discuss?); that said, my nerves/damage don't do tap centering, however, line up visual, then turn/scribe, move, repeat is gettin' faster for me, typically one or two moves does it.

*now that I'm glazing/waxing dozens of pots at a go instead of a few at a time...

$130-40 might seem like a lot for a Giffin Grip, but it's well worth it.  They will essentially last forever, and definitely speed up the process, especially with the health concerns you mentioned.  Definitely a justified "splurge" purchased.

12 minutes ago, Benzine said:

$130-40 might seem like a lot for a Giffin Grip, but it's well worth it.  They will essentially last forever, and definitely speed up the process, especially with the health concerns you mentioned.  Definitely a justified "splurge" purchased.

But... But... My carefully honed tap centering skills and multitude of trimming Chucks would have their feelings hurt... Don't hurt Chuck. :lol:

3 hours ago, liambesaw said:

But... But... My carefully honed tap centering skills and multitude of trimming Chucks would have their feelings hurt... Don't hurt Chuck. :lol:

No worries, not all forms can be used with the Giffin Grip, so tap centering is still necessary.  And @Pres uses chucks *with* his Giffin Grip, for some of his wares. 

Thank you, Pres.  The temptation to comment (here) can be resisted, if one tries!!!  Not necessairly so easy, but it can be done. I am laughing becasue I am involved in another group that has a terrible problem with getting members to post their comments where they are supposed to, and to stop responding in the wrong place as well. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A recent thread on culture made me think about periods of art history. Being an arm chair historian, I often go through the history of potters before us: Adelaide Robineau's Scarab Vase comes to mind. Historians put art (including pottery) into periods: Medievel, Renaissance, Baroque, and Neo-Classical for instance. (Google "periods in art history"- you will find them)  Each period in recent history lasted 100-200 years: the current period began in 1800. So if periods last 200 years, that would mean beginning in 2000, a new period should have begun.....but it has not! 

Qotw : what name would you ascribe to the current period of art history that began in 2000? 

Edited by glazenerd
Phrasing issue