What Might This Be?

Last night I finally went through the glazes and glaze materials that I inherited for my studio.

I found a container of mixed, dried materials marked as so:

750g Kaolin EPK

750g Dolomite

300g Gerstley Borate

It seems very intentionally mixed and labelled. I weighed it at it does add up to 1800g, so none used yet.

What do you think? I have searched recipes on the internet that call for 42% Kaolin EPK, 42% Dolomite, and 16% Gerstley Borate,
as well as 50/50 Kaolin & Dolomite, plus 20% Gerstley Borate added.

I hate to toss perfectly good materials! If you know what this is, or have recipes that might call for these ingredients in these proportions (which I could just add other materials to), I would be grateful to hear your ideas!

I'm guessing you didn't get the glaze book of the person who's studio stuff you've come into. What was this other artist's work like? What did hey make?

I think it's a low fire engobe of some kind, although if someone has a different opinion, I'd go with that one. I had a quick pass at it in Insight, and it doesn't fall properly within any glaze limits there, so it's very unbalanced (low silica) as a glass. I hope this isn't someone's idea of a matte white cone 6 glaze.

My first impulse is to tell you that none of those ingredients are expensive or rare, and 1800g really isn't that much. I think you should just chuck it. You'll spend a bunch of time testing it, trying to figure out if it's something you actually like, and then figuring out how to incorporate it into your work. It's a backwards method of working, regardless of your involvement level in clay. Your time is more valuable than that.

I think what you have is a mix that he made up of specifics for a series of glazes that used the same materials. This probably had one of the frits added to it or some other materials to complete a some different glazes.

best,

Pres

Thanks. I guess I will toss it. I have already tossed more than 40 yogurt containers of homemade glazes, and about 8 5-gallon buckets of glaze. I was being ruthless (and realistic) about what I would use and what I wouldn't, as well as what was worth keeping (if only a few tbsp left with no recipe to repeat... tossed it)

I kept all the ^6 glazes that had enough available to do something with, and/or the ones she left the recipes for (and so could be repeated, if liked)

When I came across this I was hoping it would be something easy, like "oh that's X, just add Y and you've got Z!" but... alas, back to the Earth it goes!

Thanks.

Could do a search lusting these ibgred.

I did a Google search of the ingredients, both in quotations marks and not in quotation marks, as well as with amounts... in grams and percentages. I also peeked through several of my pottery reference books, looking to see if any recipes have those three ingredients as a base, and I don't see them paired together in those ratios anywhere!

Guest JBaymore

Ran it in Insight... could be a crappy cone 3 glaze....or a really crappy cone 6 glaze.  (low in boron....very low in silica.)

EP Kaolin...................  750.000 
 Dolomite....................  750.000 
 Gerstley Bor (99).......  300.000 
                                 =========

CaO      0.545*  
          MgO      0.435*  
          K2O      0.003*   
          Na2O     0.016*   
          P2O5     0.001*   
          TiO2     0.004    
          Al2O3    0.314   
          B2O3     0.120