Salt Showing Up On Glaze A Day After Firing?

I have been finding a salty powder that shows up on my Orange Cone 6 glazed pieces a day or two after they come out of the gas kiln. I can't figure out why or where this is coming from. Any help would be appreciated. It almost looks like how lime leeches out of concrete blocks. This only started a few months ago, as all previous firings were fine; glaze supplier not very forthcoming with answers as to what ingredients are or if they have changed anything on their end. I'm getting whole kiln loads that are salty. Kiln reaches temp as usual and nothing has changed with that element. Please help!

Welcome to the forum, although I wish it were under better circumstances for you!

What glaze is it that you're using, what kind of surface is it on, and are you able to upload a photo of what it's supposed to look like as well as what it looks like currently?

Fired glazes have no business flourescing, and your clay supplier should be concerned. As should the manufacturer.

There is a thread somewhere about this...

Pos. coming from the clay from memory.

I had that prob. with a low fired glaze a time back but I have forgotten teh answes as I got the prob solved on this forum, thank you Neil and Mark, I'm doing whatever they advised but have forgotten what I used to do!!

Only when it is meaningful....

Think it was a clay issue

Archived