How Do You Mark/sign Your Work?

I will probably be in the minority here, but I sign my pieces with a little stylized logo of E P Rice, add an old lead stamp of an English R, a circular design around the outer edge, and date each piece. In the long run, I believe if you look at any part of a pot, there should be something to see of interest. That includes the bottom.

best,

Pres

On stoneware I sign my name backwards at the top of the foot. Below the backward name is the backward date. Midway the foot on the left is cone ten or six. Directly across on the right is the pounds of clay it took to make the vessel. And on the bottom of the foot is the date the original was made and the country it originated from!!! So name, date, cone, weight, 1685 Belgium. Something like that!

On the Indian pottery its just name and date regular style, smeared/covered with clay, on the inside wall.

I have started stamping my logo on the pot where it will be seen. Of course my stamp matches my pot's aesthetically. On my mugs I stamp my logo on the bottom right of where the handle attaches. We had a discussion about stamps and signatures and someone posted an article about larger and more obvious signatures going for more, so I figured I would give it a shot. Plus I kind of like it, it screams this is my work!

Guest JBaymore

One of two ways at the moment. 

One is a small hanko (carved signature stamp) that I made while in Japan in 1996.  Took a few hours to carve.  (Would have been less time without the sake. ;) )  Carved out of stone, it is a stylized JB.  It is also used with red ink on wooden boxes and on some pottery documents.

The other is simply my hand scribed signature engraved into the clay written as JBaymore.  I use a rounded stylus to write it so that it does not have harsh edges.

In the rare occasion that I forget to scribe the signature (getting old)... I use a black oxide wash to write JBaymore with a small brush.

best,

...............john

I use my initials squashed together into one little script-like shape. My handwriting is very spidery and my initials just happen to look good written that way, also they don't have curvy lines, just straight ones so it's easy to scratch really tiny, but also look good written large and boldly. I came up with my sig when I started including craft/artisan work alongside my oil paintings in the co-op gallery where I peddled my work years ago. Not only were the craft works small and needed a smaller sig but the works weren't 'important' enough to merit my full name. Now I'm quite a attached to it and wish I could use it on my paintings too, but it's not the done thing. 

I'd like to include a little stamped or oxide painted image to stick beside my initials to complete my signature on my ceramic work, just no idea what. Maybe a spiky fish?

I found a picture of my stamp. I do a lot of practice in ink brushing for a hobby. I am pretty awful at it, but I brushed my initials into a form I liked then put 3 dots for my wife, son and dog. basically my family. 

my stamp:

isla_500x500.17717805_m5f9hdz4.jpg

I will post a picture of a finished pot with it once I get some made and fired. been busy.

I use two different stamps. I tiny 1cm stamp of an elephant that I use for most pots (shown here upside-down on a drying pot). And a larger 4cm stamp that spells out my company name. I use this stamp on flat pieces where the hump mold provides enough support for the larger/more complicated stamp.

post-1612-0-80007500-1490020142_thumb.jpgpost-1612-0-71609300-1490020150_thumb.jpg

I have a spiral tattoo that inspired the image for my business logo.
My partner and I sometimes share pieces (he throws, I decorate/trim & glaze)

For my own pieces, I sign with my spiral & name (Roxy)
For his pieces, he signs with his initals (DAB)

For our shared pieces, that we both worked on - we sign with our business name: Stone Spiral Gifts

Archived