Cap'n Cavy Progress Photos (Help?)

Soooo, it's been a while.

Poor Cap'n Cavy was stuck under moist paper towels and plastic for weeks, but I got reinspired to work on him again these past couple of days. I'd say he's undergone quite a transformation since the last time I posted a progress shot--he was a head, a round body, and two legs with one boot. :D

I still have a ways to go, but am liking this direction. ♥ He stands about 7.5" tall.

I'm having a real hard time with this clay body. Clay Art Center of Tacoma's redart with mica is pretty, but lousy for handbuilding, when compared to their seward terracotta. Lesson learned...

So, here he is! Remember, he's still not finished! :)

(Hnngh...my poor hands.)

post-63665-0-76614700-1489645484_thumb.jpg

post-63665-0-58936100-1489645709_thumb.jpg

post-63665-0-36411700-1489645774_thumb.jpg

post-63665-0-76614700-1489645484_thumb.jpg

post-63665-0-58936100-1489645709_thumb.jpg

post-63665-0-36411700-1489645774_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Oldlady! ♥ I'm gonna add a bunch more things to him, and will post more progress soon. He's gonna get some underglazing as well, just like the fox head I made around Christmas. :)

I'd really love some feedback/tips from fellow handbuilders. His coat tail was really hard...the crackling is fine, since I want to give it the appearance of old leather, but I'm having a hard time with the shape of it. I'd love the help! ♥

I know my sculptures aren't nearly as pretty or good as my pottery, but I'm still very much a beginner at this handbuilding thing, and I'm getting pretty frustrated at my limitations... I miss throwing a lot. :'(

i used to know a potter who made "virginia gentlemen" dressed as george washington would have been.  the coats had a split in the back because the wearer was probably going to ride a horse.  i do not know how to describe it but like a fold on one side and plain on the other.  modern men's suits have "vents" in various places depending on the style the year they were made.    would that help?  i see you need the coat to help support the figure. 

Well Captain Cavy is certainly cool and I think the coat looks good. Looking forward to the finished look. 

I make a lot of animals that are essentially all pinched forms out of one piece of clay. Most don't have clothing but I have made some vases that were a pair of pajamas standing up. I just sort of pinched the folds with the outer edge of my thumb. Gave texture by pressing a bit of lace into the collar and cuffs. I go back and carve the folds a little too.  The pajama vase was a gift for someone and I keep thinking of doing a series of clothing vases. One of these days. 

Keep up the hand building. Its fun.   Rakuku

Wow, Rakukuku, one piece?? I've used sooo many clay pieces to make the Cap'n. His head and body are both a "sphere" that was made with two pinched "bowls" I scored and slipped together (newspaper keeps the forms from collapsing), then kinda beat into shape with my hands. All the other parts (ears, hat, limbs, boots, coat, etc) were separate pieces of clay. I wonder if I'm overkilling him, lol... I get really wrapped up in details. Guessing that's the illustrator in me...

That pajama piece sounds awesome, heehee! Clothes are freakin' hard to sculpt, ugh. I guess I'm just gonna have to keep practicing... *sigh*

you two sculptors would have loved the kimonos that were on display at the smithsonian show in dc a number of years ago.  they were swirling as though a person was inside.  they were made with colored clay done in strips of pattern. about a foot to two feet high.   could have looked at them all day.  

Well I love the kimonos and had the idea of why not make more ordinary clothing of current vintage. The pajamas and nightgown pieces were for a friend who had since died. Don't think I have pictures of them. Will have to make more.

I pinch my animals out of one piece because it seems like the parts I add always want to crack off no matter how well I score and slip. So they are all sort of fat and blobby.  Recently learned that waxing over the joints helps prevent that. Can't wait to see the completed captain.  Rakuku

Archived