Photo
- - - - -

Can Unglazed Pieces Touch In Cone 6 Firing?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 clayshapespottery

clayshapespottery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

I create decorative pods that I paint with acrylic paints after they are high fired (cone 6) - so I fire them unglazed. Can they touch in the cone 6 firing (I'm using cone 6 porcelain - Tuckers Bright White) I'm pretty certain this is a stupid question, but am humbly asking, anyway!

Attached Files

#2 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

No, especially with porcelain.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

[email protected]

#3 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

I agree with Neil ... you cannot stack them on each other or lean them against each other because they will stick to each other.
You could however load them with their sides just touching.... theoretically by the time they get melting hot they will have shrunk somewhat and not be touching at all.
That said, I would not do it. I would leave just a bit between them.
Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

#4 clayshapespottery

clayshapespottery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

Thanks Chris and Neil - I knew this, logically, but was hoping I was wrong!!

#5 D.M.Ernst

D.M.Ernst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

There are no stupid questions.

What is different about porcelain that makes it stick together when fired to ^6?  Can it touch during the bisque?  Would unglazed stoneware stick together if fired to ^6? 

I was very surprised to learn this.  Thank you again for your experience and expertise.

#6 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

There are no stupid questions.

What is different about porcelain that makes it stick together when fired to ^6?  Can it touch during the bisque?  Would unglazed stoneware stick together if fired to ^6? 

I was very surprised to learn this.  Thank you again for your experience and expertise.

Porcelain gets very close to its melting point, therefore pieces stick. Think molten glass. Stoneware not as much, but still sticky to some degree. In a bisque it's not a problem because the clay doesn't get anywhere near its melting point. You could stack raw pieces in a cone 6 firing, but you would need to do some alumina wax wherever they touch, and they're much more likely to warp if you stack them.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

[email protected]

#7 JohnnyK

JohnnyK

JohnnyK

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCitrus Heights, CA

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Love the pieces...particularly the metallic!  What kind of paint are you using. I have some acrylics that are designed for automotive use and cure under heat (like a heat gun).

JohnnyK

#8 clayshapespottery

clayshapespottery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

Thanks JohnnyK - I just use ordinary artists acrylic paints from the art supply shops (and even the dollar store) - there's a wide variety of colors and finishes available. They take a couple hours to dry, and I put a protective coat of varathane or sometimes just modgepodge on when they are dry. It's all about the layering with this kind of work - a lot of painting on, wiping off, and layering some more until I get an effect I like. Only problem is you can never repeat it - it's different every time! The ones in the picture are about 3 years old - no fading or flaking yet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users