Website To Order Pottery Tools Cheap

Have you got a plan of some kind to prevent your tools from 'walking' out of the studio? Labelling everything to prevent them getting mixed up with students' own tools and/or a system for checking everything is returned at the end of each session? Without this, you'll find a good number somehow manage to disappear ... pretty quickly.

Experienced teachers will be able to chip in here with ideas, I'm sure.

Mud tools...yes yes yes! I have red ribs (used a lot!!!) and green ones both in 2 different shapes. Their metal ribs are also superb. Worth the money as they last forever! Get big car cleaning sponges from the dollar store for clean up. Buckets and tubs - ask in restaurants - loads of foodstuffs come in large, lidded tubs that just get thrown away.

Celia - yes I have my name written on all my traveling tools and count them out when I set up and count them back in when I clean up.

Plan to write HAHC, which is the art centers intials in big bold letters on all the classroom tools. I do know that some will walk off but I am going to try and get as many students to purchase their own set as I can so they realize the value in having and taking care of their own and be less likely to abuse or steal the studios. Some of the students just don't have the means to purchase their own especially those participating in the free classes we offer. I'm all ears for any suggestions as to how to control tool loss!

Yes I already have the car sponges from Dollar Tree and my favorite local restaurant has given me a dozen 5 gallon buckets to use for all kinds of things, glaze, cleaning, instant damp boxes, etc. I am donating all new wareboards myself made from drywall I have had stored in my garage and one of my students is helping me tape the edges.

I am a SUPER big fan of the Mud Tools! Ribs, rubber (all colors) and metal (love the paisley metal ribs!) as well as the cut off wires and cut off harp, the shredders, etc. I use them all in my studio and would love to one day have one of each color, shape and firmness of the rubber ribs, I pick a new one up whenever I can. Unfortunately they are expensive for a classroom so am at this point planning to only buy a few and keep them in my teachers toolbox in a locked cabinet when I am not there and allow them to be used during class and have a few new ones on hand for sale if after using mine a student wants to buy one for their own tool box.

Again you guys are amazing keep the suggestions and ideas coming!

T

I used NASCA supplies for schools when I was teaching, but they don't seem to be around anymore. There is SAX https://store.schoolspecialty.com/OA_HTML/xxssi_ibeSearchResults.jsp?query=Pottery%20Kits&idx=15&ps=15&r=~TAXONOMY_LEV1%3DArt%2BSupplies%2B-%2BCraft%2BSupplies&refQuery=&relevancy=Relevancy&collection=products&searchType=productResults&minisite=10206&pageType=&a=b

with discounts on Bailey and Skutt and other ceramic supplies.

Marcia

They are still around

check my link in above post.

I second the bright orange (or any bright color) paint.  One studio I go to does that and it's also very helpful at the end of a workshop or class when everyone is scrambling to make sure the tools go to the right person.  They use spray paint.  You could lay the tools on paper and spray paint a swath across them.  Makes quick work of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived