#21 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

<snip>  Only problem I've had with Bailey's is with their free shipping code for small tools, it doesn't work whenever I've tried to use it.  <snip>

Min,

If you are requesting shipping into Canada, I think you might be running up against the fine print on the Bailey free shipping offer on small tools and brushes-

"*Free Freight/Shipping in contiguous US only, applies to in stock items only, minimum order must be $25 after discounts are applied. Some restrictions apply." 

I just ordered some small tools a few weeks ago and the website discount code worked fine.  Bailey's price on Mudtools seems to be a low as anywhere I've seen. 

-SD

Thanks, but I have a US postal box and still can't ship. Their sale emails I get have the small tools free shipping on the weekend and yet they are closed then so I can't call it in. I've tried emailing them (twice), no response so just gave up and bought locally. What I really wanted from there is one of the do-all trim tools, can't get them here, shipping to Canada is silly expensive from just about everywhere. 

edit: just figured it out, they don't consider the trimming tool a small tool so no free shipping. 

knowing it exists is not enough, get informed, pass it on

Breast Cancer Awareness  

#22 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

I found sets of inexpensive tool on ebay when I looked at a site for a pair of earrings.  They are from over seas and take a month to get them.  I bought two different sets that were around three dollars each,  I was impressed with the quality when I received them, each set had a trimming tool in them that I replace often.  It takes a while to search through the site, they didn't have a good sort feature but that was six months ago.   I believe they had wooden ribs also,  I often pick up cheap spatulas and use them to rib the inside of a pot, the dollar store would be a good source.  Young students can work with about any thing for a tool most of time they resort to using their fingers.   Denice

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252592600583

#23 S. Dean

S. Dean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC USA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

<snip>  Only problem I've had with Bailey's is with their free shipping code for small tools, it doesn't work whenever I've tried to use it.  <snip>

Min,

If you are requesting shipping into Canada, I think you might be running up against the fine print on the Bailey free shipping offer on small tools and brushes-

"*Free Freight/Shipping in contiguous US only, applies to in stock items only, minimum order must be $25 after discounts are applied. Some restrictions apply." 

I just ordered some small tools a few weeks ago and the website discount code worked fine.  Bailey's price on Mudtools seems to be a low as anywhere I've seen. 

-SD

Thanks, but I have a US postal box and still can't ship. Their sale emails I get have the small tools free shipping on the weekend and yet they are closed then so I can't call it in. I've tried emailing them (twice), no response so just gave up and bought locally. What I really wanted from there is one of the do-all trim tools, can't get them here, shipping to Canada is silly expensive from just about everywhere. The free shipping code for Bailey's that I have is "STFS" is that the same one you used?

Yes - that's the code I've used.  If I recall correctly, I think you have to enter in your shipping zipcode first - then after that you can type in the code and click the apply button. As a backup, I also put the code/offer in the notes section of the order.  Bailey always sends a pre-ship email of the order and gives you a day to confirm/correct before they ship.  This way if something happens, you could talk with them during normal business hours.

-SD

edit - you have to press the calculate shipping button

• Min likes this

#24 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

http://kruegerpotter...9-tool-kit.html

Ryan has an eight piece starter tool kit from Kemper for $11.  He sells to almost every school and college in the St. Louis area..

Nerd

#25 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 3rd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

I found a basic 8 piece set for $4 with free shpg on Amazon, it appears to be coming from China since it says it will take a month to get here. I was able to order 10 of them so it's a good start. Clay King has the serrated metal ribs in 12 packs for $13.41 plus shpg but if I add them to an order when I need something which I most likely will this month shpg isn't enough to worry about.

Georgie's also has really good prices on both tools, serrated rib and KEMPER ja3, but their shopping cart price is coming up different than their webpage price so I will need to call during business hours. That just leaves the rubber rib which I am going to call Mud Tools next week and see if they do discounts if not then will also ask Clay King and Georgie's if they do. I do have a set of 12 of all the tools in my traveling teachers kit but really don't want to take it apart since at times I can be teaching in 3 different locations each week. If I have to I'll just order a few and keep them locked up in a cabinet between classes so they don't walk out the door. Would like to have some to offer for sale though so still need to find a cheap place to get them so can resell them if a student wants to buy.

I guess it's a work in progress!

Before I forget, I have 2 glaze sieves of my own one with brushes one without that I plan to take up when I tackle the chunky glaze issue. I have a couple small talisman test sieves as well that I use here for slip but I'm not using those since they are really too small for glazes other than testing.

Oh and thank you Mark!
The SG issue has a plan. I found a plastic 100ml beaker hanging out in a box in my studio, like the glass one I am using. I that I am going to donate the plastic one since I like the glass one better, it's easier to read for me. Just have to find a cheap digital scale somewhere and that will be handled as well. I tried several different ways of checking SG and your way of simply filling the beaker and setting it on a scale is the simplest so I can teach them how to check the glazes once they are fixed. I plan to print and slip into plastic sleeves sheets with the glaze name, recipe, SG and mixed date and attach to each glaze container. That will help me control the glazes and help them understand the glazes as well.

I have started bisquing the glaze test tiles since there aren't any up there right now and have wrangled some volunteers to help get them glazed once the glazes are fixed. I need a set of white and a set of brown so it's a big job! I'm going to put up a pegboard and hang them in the glaze room so there's no more guessing what a glaze does on each clay as well as on texture. I've already got requests for overlapping test tiles as well but that will come later as right now I am just focused on getting the basic glaze colors up there.

It's all coming together!

Thank you so much everyone You have made this endeavor so much easier!

T
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#26 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

A paring knife can work to some extent, but the fettling knife is a basic clay tool designed to do it's job(s). I think it is much more versitile than a paring knife. .  

Lee Ustinich

#27 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

Have you got a plan of some kind to prevent your tools from 'walking' out of the studio? Labelling everything to prevent them getting mixed up with students' own tools and/or a system for checking everything is returned at the end of each session? Without this, you'll find a good number somehow manage to disappear ... pretty quickly.
Experienced teachers will be able to chip in here with ideas, I'm sure.

Mud tools...yes yes yes! I have red ribs (used a lot!!!) and green ones both in 2 different shapes. Their metal ribs are also superb. Worth the money as they last forever! Get big car cleaning sponges from the dollar store for clean up. Buckets and tubs - ask in restaurants - loads of foodstuffs come in large, lidded tubs that just get thrown away.

#28 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 3rd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

Celia - yes I have my name written on all my traveling tools and count them out when I set up and count them back in when I clean up.

Plan to write HAHC, which is the art centers intials in big bold letters on all the classroom tools. I do know that some will walk off but I am going to try and get as many students to purchase their own set as I can so they realize the value in having and taking care of their own and be less likely to abuse or steal the studios. Some of the students just don't have the means to purchase their own especially those participating in the free classes we offer. I'm all ears for any suggestions as to how to control tool loss!

Yes I already have the car sponges from Dollar Tree and my favorite local restaurant has given me a dozen 5 gallon buckets to use for all kinds of things, glaze, cleaning, instant damp boxes, etc. I am donating all new wareboards myself made from drywall I have had stored in my garage and one of my students is helping me tape the edges.

I am a SUPER big fan of the Mud Tools! Ribs, rubber (all colors) and metal (love the paisley metal ribs!) as well as the cut off wires and cut off harp, the shredders, etc. I use them all in my studio and would love to one day have one of each color, shape and firmness of the rubber ribs, I pick a new one up whenever I can. Unfortunately they are expensive for a classroom so am at this point planning to only buy a few and keep them in my teachers toolbox in a locked cabinet when I am not there and allow them to be used during class and have a few new ones on hand for sale if after using mine a student wants to buy one for their own tool box.

Again you guys are amazing keep the suggestions and ideas coming!

T
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#29 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:29 PM

bright orange paint helps a lot.  hard to hide it or "mistakenly" walk off with.  one of those 2 ounce bottles of acrilic from walmart or michaels craft section is less than a dollar.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#30 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:36 AM

I used NASCA supplies for schools when I was teaching, but they don't seem to be around anymore. There is SAX https://store.school...6&pageType=&a=b
with discounts on Bailey and Skutt and other ceramic supplies.

Marcia

They are still around

check my link in above post.

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#31 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

Thanks, Mark. When I checked I got Nascar driving info.
Marcia
Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#32 flowerdry

flowerdry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

I second the bright orange (or any bright color) paint.  One studio I go to does that and it's also very helpful at the end of a workshop or class when everyone is scrambling to make sure the tools go to the right person.  They use spray paint.  You could lay the tools on paper and spray paint a swath across them.  Makes quick work of it.

Doris Hackworth

"Promoting the joy of handmade pottery"

#33 rgalka

rgalka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

you many have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery, but shipping is free and prices are right. I have purchased many things and have not been disappointed...   yet ;O)

https://www.aliexpre...Text=clay tools

try other search terms for something specific

• Min likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users