So, I need a crack expert. I have a piece of cone 6 porcelain greenware that keeps cracking when it drys.  I've repaired it numerous times, dried it for weeks, wet the entire piece down, nothing is working. It's a small crack on the edge of the piece. 1 cm maybe.  I can not make it again, I need to fix this crack.  Help me please!

APT-II ENHANCER

An acrylic emulsion additive that is food safe and non-toxic. It cleans up with water and has an indefinite shelf life. Protect from Freezing.

Apt-II will thicken all brands of slip, enabling the ceramist to attach, mend and create surface decorations. The process can be performed on greenware, bisque or finished glazed pieces.

• Bonding occurs immediately.
  • Mended area dries to a softness equal to greenware.
  • Mended area may be cleaned immediately.
  • Mended area does not shrink and leave a stress crack.
  • Colors and glazes adhere to mended are without showing a difference in color.
  • Slip mender will adhere to glaze fired surfaces.
  • No odors or acid fumes from slip mender in kiln.

Stress Cracks on Greenware

1.                 Apply APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer from bottle into stress crack.

2.                 Immediately fill with *Slip Mixture.

3.                 Clean excess with cleaning tool - let dry as usual.

4.                 Re-fire to a greenware firing.

I use it on stoneware. It should be available at your pottery supplier. Good luck.

We have had this discussion often before. Is the amount of time and effort you are putting into the piece worth it, or would you be better off to remake the piece? That sort of question always caused me to throw the piece out and redo it when dealing with my own work.

However, I have had student pieces of pottery break crack or get damaged due to some accidental problem during the construction process. These I would take the best of care to make certain they would survive. . students only had so much time in my classroom, and leaving with a great feeling for an exceptional piece of work was important to me. I also would repair pots if they got broken after glaze firing in a display or otherwise for them.

Best,

Pres

APT-II ENHANCER

An acrylic emulsion additive that is food safe and non-toxic. It cleans up with water and has an indefinite shelf life. Protect from Freezing.

Apt-II will thicken all brands of slip, enabling the ceramist to attach, mend and create surface decorations. The process can be performed on greenware, bisque or finished glazed pieces.

• Bonding occurs immediately.
  • Mended area dries to a softness equal to greenware.
  • Mended area may be cleaned immediately.
  • Mended area does not shrink and leave a stress crack.
  • Colors and glazes adhere to mended are without showing a difference in color.
  • Slip mender will adhere to glaze fired surfaces.
  • No odors or acid fumes from slip mender in kiln.

Stress Cracks on Greenware

1.                 Apply APT-II Porcelain/Stoneware Enhancer from bottle into stress crack.

2.                 Immediately fill with *Slip Mixture.

3.                 Clean excess with cleaning tool - let dry as usual.

4.                 Re-fire to a greenware firing.

I use it on stoneware. It should be available at your pottery supplier. Good luck.

Thanks, this looks like it's worth a try. :)

We have had this discussion often before. Is the amount of time and effort you are putting into the piece worth it, or would you be better off to remake the piece? That sort of question always caused me to throw the piece out and redo it when dealing with my own work.

However, I have had student pieces of pottery break crack or get damaged due to some accidental problem during the construction process. These I would take the best of care to make certain they would survive. . students only had so much time in my classroom, and leaving with a great feeling for an exceptional piece of work was important to me. I also would repair pots if they got broken after glaze firing in a display or otherwise for them.

Best,

Pres

I can't remake it, not again.  It's very detailed sculpted box. This is the second one, the last one cracked in the kiln, and it took a long time to make. I'm going to try the stuff Marko recommended. If that doesn't work and it cracks, I'll make a mold and try to make a couple more from that, hopefully one of them will survive.

Archived