Sign in to follow this  
nancylee

How Much To Make?

nancylee    30

Hi all,

I know I've asked this before, but I have committed to a 3 day show. It is pretty big, a higher end NYC weekend crowd. I am going to bring functional pottery, some oil diffuser pendants and necklaces. I make a lot of urns, and I'm going to do keepsake jars, that can be done for any kind of keepsake: birth, weddings, etc. and using my metalsmithing for small metal tags I can stamp with an initial right there.

So, how many of each do you make for a biger Three day show? I plan to have lots of smalls, cause I know not everyone wants to soend $25 on a mug but will soend $5 on a Spoonrest or soap,dish.

mugs

Keepsake jars, all sizes

Refrigerator magnets

Spoon rests

Soap,dishes (extruded)

Small bowls

Bigger bowls

Platters of various shales and sizes, handbuilt

Canisters

Honey jars

Garlic keepers

Sets of,plates, handbuilt

Etc.

I know, it depends, but i am looking for general numbers. Thanks!

Nancy

GEP    863

It is pretty big, a higher end NYC weekend crowd.

$25 for a mug shouldn't seem "expensive" to this crowd.

For a three day show, I will pack $8000 in inventory. Give or take, if I already have experience at that show I might pack more or less depending on past shows. But if it's new to me I'll start with $8000.

Denice    243

I happened to be in Kansas City during their big  Spring Art Fair,  mugs ranged from $30 to $50 and this was 4 years ago. I bought one mug from a potter I knew about 10 years ago for $20 and she said it was priced cheap because we knew each other. You might consider raising your prices.   Denice

oldlady    1,323

$5 is too low for anything at all.  not in NY.  do not sell yourself short.  and item to add to your low cost bunch is a flat disc with holes in the center that will fit over a mason jar.  they are used to hold flower stems apart.  a small disc centered on a larger one with 1/2 or less holes through them should keep the lid in place.

do have at least a few of the higher priced items so you do not look like a bargain basement sale.  you will be judged by the promoters and they want a good looking show with quality items.

GEP    863

Mea, what kind of distribution do you usually have amongst price points in that $8000? Eg, how many items in the $20 and under, how many in the $100+range, etc.

I looked up an inventory list from a three day show last year:

$20 and under = $890 (10%)

$21-$50 = $3861 (44%)

$51-$100 = $2002 (23%)

$101 and over = $2065 (23%)

total $8818

nancylee    30

Mea and few here on PC have plenty of experience with that. Follow their advice. Wishing you tons of success. 

Thank you so much!!!

Nancy

nancylee    30

$5 is too low for anything at all.  not in NY.  do not sell yourself short.  and item to add to your low cost bunch is a flat disc with holes in the center that will fit over a mason jar.  they are used to hold flower stems apart.  a small disc centered on a larger one with 1/2 or less holes through them should keep the lid in place.

do have at least a few of the higher priced items so you do not look like a bargain basement sale.  you will be judged by the promoters and they want a good looking show with quality items.

Thank you!! What a great idea!! 

Nancy