Glazing Lidded Pots

I use about a teaspoon of alumina in an 8 oz container of liquid wax. I use this on porcelain pieces. I never found it necessary to use it on stoneware pieces. It keeps the porcelain from fusing in spots. You still need to keep glazes off the galleys of the pieces.

Marcia

I use alumina in wax, similar recipe to Marcia's except I eyeball the amounts, on all lids.  Generally on grogged clay bodies the surfaces are rough enough not to seal, but with low grog clay bodies and/or burnished  galleries there can be some adhesion between the lid and the gallery.  The alumina-wax is a reasonable countermeasure.

Kiln wash is not recommended as an alternative because it often contains both kaolin and silica, both of which are more likely to sinter together and adhere to the clay body.  Alumina, by itself, does not.

LT

I prefer lids that over hang the vessel for at least a couple of reasons. I once saw a student make a 9 inch casserole where the lid fit nicely in the galley. She loved the rutile glaze....the glaze ran off the lid and filled the galley.. Take your pick, as it turned out to be either a 5 pound paperweight or a ceramic football with an attached handle.

The other reason is if the lid sits down into the galley, any dirt or dust that settles on the lid will fall into the jar when the lid is removed.

Good luck

Alabama

Archived