#1 Nathan123

Nathan123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:21 AM

Hi,

I am new to ceramic glazing.

Are there any methods that can duplicate fire-based glazing on ceramics? I work at home, so i do not have access to kiln. I have read there are oven-based glazes and non-fire based glaze. How effective are they in terms of the glaze (will it be similar to fire glazed plate)?

Thank You.

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,258 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

I don't think an unfired glaze would be food safe. I can't really say since I don't know what they are. But the chemical fluxing and fusing that occurs on kiln fired pots does fuse the chemicals. The are food safe as long as the correct non-toxic chemicals are used and fired correctly. Read the labels on the oven glaze jars. Also, not sure what kind of clay would be functional baked in the domestic oven.
Marcia
Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#3 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,985 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

So are you bisque firing? If you're not firing at all, then there's nothing you can do to make pieces permanent or hard or durable or functional. And even if you're bisque firing, there's nothing that would be food safe that I know of. And even if they said it was food safe, I wouldn't eat off of it.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

[email protected]

#4 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:54 PM

can you describe exactly what it is that you do when you work at home?  names of products, method of working?  it does not sound as though you are using a true clay material.  photos help.

true ceramics cannot be made without sufficient heat to melt the material and change it from dirt to pottery.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#5 preeta

preeta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

if you are in the US - the oven broiler goes upto 500 - 550F (260-290C).

if you want to eat out of your dishes - if you use the lowest temperature clay - that is earthenware - you need to fire  (1,800 and 2,100 °F1,000 and 1,150 °C and glaze-fired to between  (1,740 to 1,920 °F) 950 to 1,050 °C.

if you make vessels to use as sculpture (so not to eat out of) you could either raku fire it (still need to bisque fire AND then glaze fire but still need heat at least to 1470-1830 F or pit fire in your backyard (still need to bisque fire) and then fire in a barrell or pit (if its legal where you are) to about temperature above 1000F.

that means you need a kiln. or have access to a kiln. if you have a ceramic supply store in your time you can enquire and find out if they fire individual pieces for customers or they know a place that does it.

that said i know some members here have built their own kilns from scratch. do you have space and time and means to do one?

you have to bisque fire first. well... and then instead of glazes you can use things like shoe polish or acrylic paint to paint on your pots.

but for eating use you need a kiln.

i have never heard of non heat based glazes. even in cooking you need heat to glaze the meat.  but then just coz i dont know doesnt mean it does not exist. 

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ceramics, glaze, glazing, kiln, pottery, paint, duncan, no fire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users