#21 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

WIX gave me a deal at $25 for 12 months for [email protected], (same features as Google, which is what it's through anyway). So I did it. I'll lose a bit on the cards I got for the gmail acct., but at least I did not put any out there yet!  

Thx Chilly--the "angle type" is a great tip. I have a friend who is going to tweak my Excel to maximize it for my needs. What a blessing--so many people helping me and cheering me on! Lady...I am using the Excel for an inventory tracker, so I need to log those details. Ron-thx-I  will add the cone#. Plus I will have reference photos of each piece.

This is actually fun (doing the web stuff and inching closer to launching a hobby business. It is taking much longer than I had hoped, as far as taking pics (1-3 views, no less) of every piece and then the whole "store" has to be set up & the photos uploaded...another friend is going to do the initial batch for me. I have to bring 3 huge bags of "stuff" to my favorite charity in order to make the (former!) dining room functual to have the photo set up on a table in there. .

Lee Ustinich

#22 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

Your target buyer for pottery is likely a woman, 35 - 45 years old.

What lures that person in and what does that person care about the most?

I doubt she cares that much about you having a gmail account since she likely has one too.

I would bet she cares about what the pottery says about her, if it gives her a good feeling about herself.

She cares about price point but not to the exclusion of taste or style ... look what she pays for coffee!

I think she wants to buy it easily and enjoy the experience.

Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

#23 Polydeuces

Polydeuces

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

Hey there, long-time lurker here that just made an account. I've got experience building a few websites (not pottery related) and I've tried a few different things (different wordpress themes & platforms) and if you're getting into it for the first time, here are a couple things I would share with you.

Wordpress is great in that it is very flexible and there are thousands of themes you can choose from (check out www.themeforest.net). Wordpress itself is free & open source if you have it hosted using GoDaddy or Bluehost or some other hosting provider, though you likely will have to purchase a theme to get a look you want. That's all well and fine, but the most challenging thing about wordpress is learning some of the coding basics to get around, and it can be difficult to change things around unless you really know what you're doing. 

I've actually been porting my existing website and redesigning using SquareSpace. In relativity to Wordpress, there is a somewhat "limited" selection of layouts, but they are far easier to customize. The builder itself is drag-and-drop, "What you see is what you get," style builder. The site comes out looking clean and automatically adjusts to whatever device it's being viewed on (PC, tablet, phone). They have a business package that doesn't seem too expensive for what they offer: inventory & invoicing, professional email, so on and so forth, which can be really awesome depending on your needs & desires. The whole thing is VERY easy to use, and if you have any trouble their website is packed full of how-to videos -- they even run a free weekly webinar on Wednesdays to help people get the ground running.

I would say if you've never designed a site before, look into SquareSpace. Their software is great, the system is really tight and the platform is very worry-free. Price-wise, I would say it's pretty comparable to any other web-hosting service. Wordpress can get insanely expensive pretty quickly, depending on your aesthetic. Many attractive site features & options come in the form of plug-ins, which are like tiny bits of code that you upload to your website -- things like image carousels, fancy contact forms, and so on -- many of these require a purchase or even a subscription to maintain! SquareSpace gives you pretty much all of that in the package. The basic is like $8, and I think the business is like $12 or $16 when you pay up front for the year. 

Best of luck!

#24 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:19 PM

Thanks all--my first two self-designed sites were via Weebly and GoDaddy web builders. Now I am using WIX's and so far, am the happiest. Just never got into Wordpress or Square Space, though most comments about them are very positive. 

A friend worked wth me to kick-start my product ID and inventory system. I have many trays of "smalls" as in the pic, and have devised a coding system for 12 discreet categories and 25 subcategories (the other pic is 3 incense holders (type) cone (sub) as ID'd on the back. On my Excel, I add the number of the piece, and the detail notes, measurments etc. and use the product code as the base file name for the photos. I have 1 tray done---15 to go! 

Attached File  0319171543.jpg   110.31KB   0 downloadsAttached File  0319171513sm.jpg   414.59KB   0 downloads

Lee Ustinich

#25 Roberta12

Roberta12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

Lee, that is very organized!!!!!   Nice job!  Will that be manageable at a show or sale?  That is always the problem I have, things happen so quickly at a sale that I don't know how I would keep track of individual items.  Usually I have a list, 20 dinner plates,  20 salad plates, 40 mugs.....and so on.  But if you are running it through your square reader or whatever, then maybe you would know??

Roberta

#26 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

I am a low volume, low energy sort of gal and have no plans to do any shows or fairs if I can manage to not get enticed (since it is enticing, and up here in rural NH, local events are fairly easy to access). But...too much work LOL--and too physical for me without help, so I am planning my little enterprise to be mostly online.  

Lee Ustinich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users