Jump to content
docweathers

Here Is How To Get Wax Resist Out Of A Brush

Recommended Posts

I had always been very diligent every time I used wax resist to quickly scrub out the resist. This kind of worked to make a brush flat last a bit longer, but slowly wax was building up in it. The other day I forgot to wash out the brush at all, a trashed brush, I thought. I found a quick way to make it come perfectly clean again. I took a small glass jar  and put a little water and dish soap in the bottom. I stuck the brush in it and put it in the microwave for about 10 seconds, until the water was slightly boiling. I pull it out of the microwave, swished around in the solution. The brush was absolutely clean, like brand-new, no wax.

 

I thought others might find this  discovery useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes sense.  I've used boiling water to get candle wax out of glass candle holders - but I would think the metal part of a brush would cause problems in a microwave.  I'm thinking boil the water first - then put the brush in it - would be a safer method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There did not seem to be any noticeable heating of the metal even though the brush that I used had a lot more metal than most  small brushes. I suspect that's because  the metal is submersed in water and the microwave is only on for about 10 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just going to suggest exactly what Chris said. I don't have access to water soluble resist, so my brush gets some Sunlight dish soap, or some ivory hand soap thoroughly worked into the bristles down to the ferrule. Helps it wash right out after your waxing session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case you have to use up the stuff you already have on hand ...

a trick from an old Ceramics Monthly was to gently rub some liquid soap into the brush before using it to prevent the wax from sticking in the first place.

 

 

Yes indeed.  I require my students to do this, with both wax and latex resist.  Probably saves me a few dozen brushes a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes sense.  I've used boiling water to get candle wax out of glass candle holders - but I would think the metal part of a brush would cause problems in a microwave.  I'm thinking boil the water first - then put the brush in it - would be a safer method.

 Yeah, I would forget the ferrule and have sparks going off in the mike, I just know it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually a new question, but I didn't want to post a separate thread, and the issue is in the ballpark of something mentioned here; using the microwave. 

 

Is it reasonable to assume I could reconstitute the lumpy-clumpy aging wax by microwaving at 50% power for maybe 10 seconds or so without causing any problems? In this case, it's Michelman's being used on cone 6/electric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×