Strength Training For Potters

moh

Hi everyone,

I've been having chronic pain on my right shoulder, arm and leg due to all the hours on the wheel.

A therapist recommended strength training regimen.

What are some workouts that the veterans in this forum do to counteract the repetitive injury from work?

Thank you!

I would look at adjusting your posture first. Get a foot rest for the other foot. The height of two 2x4's is perfect.

Start setting a speed and taking the foot off the pedal more too. Most of the leg issues come from having the leg in a strong/stable position while still trying to get fine control of the speed.

I haven't experienced the arm/shoulder issue myself but I have the feeling it relates to the height of the wheel and the height of your stool. I have my wheels raised 2-4 inches-- making the wheel head about level with my thigh.

Some people may recommend raising the wheel to a standing position. This is more frequently to address back pain.

Guest JBaymore

Unless you have some "compounding" issues such as arthritis, prior injuries to that side of the body,. and so on........ I'm with the idea Matthew stated above....... there is very likely something you are doing that is stressing your body in ways that many, if not most people, do not experience when throwing. 

That "whole right side" pain is not something that I have typically heard in a long time teaching.

So........ some analysis of general posture and how you are using your body when throwing probably is the first place to start.  Unfortunately, this cannot easily be done "from afar" without seeing you work for a reasonable amount of time.  Some long video footage  would be the "net type" solution for that issue.

best,

.......................john

I agree with the posture problem.

I have seen several regimens for potter training. I believe John Glick put one together and I don't remember the name of another, but they sent me a copy of the exercises. I still have files back in Texas , so that won't help you. Try checking Clayart archives.

Marcia

I am a firm believer in back health as related to posture. I had a spinal injury in the 70's that had affected most of my adult life. I found over the years that strengthening the back and abs had a tendency of stabilizing the spine, and being able to take more punishment through accidental mishaps, and everyday use. My biggest weapons in this arsenal are push ups every night, and side plank dips. I also find that soreness in the back in the mornings can be alleviated with about an hour of mild wedging. Seems the movement from the pushing on the clay lifts the shoulders, and lifts the back at the same time as the rocking motion of the body moves the vertebrate in such a way as to align things.

All of this is subjective, my opinion, and I would never recommend doing this without consulting your dr. I was told years ago not to do anything like this, and then later told to keep it up, as it was doing me well. You have to know what you are able to do, and step into something like this slowly.

best,

Pres

Does your physiotherapist do on-site ergonomic analysis? Many of them do for workplace injuries, and will recommend postural and workspace changes, so you're not hurting because of repetitive motion.

I think it's difficult enough trying to assist any given poster with troubleshooting things that involve clay in a forum such as this one. None of us here are medical professionals, and I think any advice given beyond "no, the entire side of your body shouldn't hurt" and "go ask your medical professional" would be irresponsible on our part. We don't know exactly how your pain is being caused, so any exercises we might suggest do have the chance of actually making things worse.

Strengthen your core. Situps, planks, side dips, etc. When your core is strong, the rest of the body doesn't have to compensate so much, plus your posture will improve.

Hand strength goes a long way to make throwing easier. Keep a racquetball or some other type of squeezable ball in your car, ad squeeze it while you're out running errands.

Archived