Throwing A Double Walled Pot, But Opening It All The Way

So I've been thinking about different wheel designs, and I thought of something similar to a chip and dip bowl. I was thinking about opening the clay, leaving nothing at the bottom, and then separating the two walls. Then you would pull the walls of the center wall, making it a little thick. Then you would connect the rim, essentially making a dome. Lastly you would push down on the top of the dome, making something like a candlestick, or a small bowl. So far I have gotten this far, but I struggle with widening the rim, and making it deeper. Does anyone have suggestions?

Hi and welcome,

Throwing a wide based donut up to the point of closing the 2 walls in, then coning in the inner wall to make a dome, making a depression in that then finish off by throwing the base and outer lip? Am I following you right?

And the problem you are having is opening up the donut hole wide enough and having enough clay to do the middle depression bowl bit? If so wouldn't it just be a question of leaving enough clay in the middle? Perhaps opening up to the batt then pull the thick ring of clay outwards (don't have your batt too wet or you might land up pulling the ring right off the batt), to the diameter of the inner dip dish bit then split the ring, leaving more clay for the floor/rim outside part, throw that bit first then go back to the inner wall and close it in. Am I anywhere close to what you meant?

edit: after thinking about this a bit more I'm wondering if the bowl part will be possible without the seam where the edges meet splitting apart when pressed into a concave depression. I think a slumped slab across the hole and attached to the sidewalls of the central tube would work.

Are you looking to place the bottom (dome) on top of the two rims to make a chip and dip bowl?

Think bundt cake pan

41VDKTYZVTL.jpg

Why not just open up the clay with your thumbs an inch or two apart so you leave enough clay for the inner wall and leaving clay on the bottom for the base. Next make your outside wall to the size you want. then open the clay you left in the middle to make your inner wall. Just make sure the bottom of both are the same thickness

oye vey. why are you complicating it so much? why dont you just throw with a bottom? a plate and a bowl. unless you are making a steamer or bundt cake. but even then. nope. too complicated (fairly newbie here soo....)

My avatar is a double walled cup I made a couple of years ago. Devide the clay, throw the inside first, then the outside then collar in and attach.. Oh, poke a hole thru the outside so when it shrinks the trapped air inside can escape!

Archived