Any Glaze Recommendations? Please!

I am pretty much a self taught potter and have never had any formal training on mixing glazes so I buy all of my glazes. Some from a local studio that they mix and some that I get online. I am still in search of a bright medium blue that I like. And a medium blue that isn't so bright. Does anyone have any suggestions on a specific glaze? or you can just share what glazes you like to use. Oh and I fire to cone 6.

you might not see as many specific responses as you would like but maybe that is because everyone uses colors that fit their own clay and way of working.  with no photos or info on what you do, it is hard to say.  stuff that looks good on my white clay may not work on your dark brown.  i want transparency so people can see the carving, drawing or impression of what i have already done to the piece before glazing.  that is ugly to people who want subtle shading or multiple glazes over others.

you just might have to look at the offerings of the manufacturers and ask them about your specific situation, clay type and color, etc.

Never fear. If you're talking blue underglazes I've done some tests of these, of course they might be pricey to use in large quantities..

"Vivid Blue" an 'economy' glaze made by a company called Fireshades -had trouble getting their site to work but my local shop sells it. It is indeed vividly cobalt/navy, needs a clear coat.

"Light Heather" by Duncan, soft light periwinkle blue, fires satin for me.

"Bright Blue Spruce" by Duncan, definitely a turquoise, fires glossy, for me.

The shop I use only fires to cone six. I've done some tests of all 3 on different types of clay, they are very stable, give good coverage with 3 coats. Also lead free. They don't do interesting things, just pretty much lay there, but nice clear colors. The tests worked well even over black clay.

what i am getting from your post is that you are looking for two blues.

similar blues - one bright and one not so bright. 

instead of looking for two glazes i'd just change to a different colour clay body which might mute the bright blue glaze in a way that you might like. 

Archived