#21 preeta

preeta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

On some glazes that are low in clay, when the glaze completely dries the wax will peel up since the glaze is too powdery to prevent it. I have a couple that do it. When it happens, it peels up the glaze with it and ruin your nice glaze job. To prevent that from happening, after you're all done glazing the pot and before the glaze has totally dried, lightly go over the wax with a torch to melt it into the glaze. Works like a charm. Or put the pot into the kiln and start the firing right away.

Is it possible to wax over bisque then use a torch to remove it so one could glaze over the bare bisque?

Kind of like the liquid frisket used with airbrushes?

Why not use latex on glaze that you peel off before firing. not sure how latex would react over too powdery glaze. would it stick well enough?

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

#22 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

Any type of latex (as in paint) or is there a formula designed for ceramics?

Ron

#23 preeta

preeta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

Ronsa i know there is one designed for ceramics. the water colour one wont work. but i dont know if any type of latex would work too. the key with latex is just like water colour you ultimately have to take it off before firing. 

then there is shellac too. i think any shellac will do. i havent tried it yet. its something i would like to at least once. paint with shellac and then wash a couple of layers of clay away so the design stands out. the water carves out the design. like wax it burns off. http://ceramicartsda...shellac-resist/

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

#24 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

On some glazes that are low in clay, when the glaze completely dries the wax will peel up since the glaze is too powdery to prevent it. I have a couple that do it. When it happens, it peels up the glaze with it and ruin your nice glaze job. To prevent that from happening, after you're all done glazing the pot and before the glaze has totally dried, lightly go over the wax with a torch to melt it into the glaze. Works like a charm. Or put the pot into the kiln and start the firing right away.

Is it possible to wax over bisque then use a torch to remove it so one could glaze over the bare bisque?

Kind of like the liquid frisket used with airbrushes?

You cannot burn off the wax and get it back to bare clay. The surrounding glaze will pop off as it heats up, and it just won't burn off cleanly.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

[email protected]

#25 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

Thanks, I just need to console myself to wait until my next supply order. Dang thing is I just placed one on Wednesday.

Ron

#26 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

Any type of latex (as in paint) or is there a formula designed for ceramics?

I've used this stuff from Michaels. (there are usually coupons online for 40-50% off).

(Don't know if latex paint would work, kinda think in that case resistance would be futile  ;)  )

knowing it exists is not enough, get informed, pass it on

Breast Cancer Awareness  

#27 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

:) There is a Trekkie in the house

I tried some latex household paint. It doesn't really work well. It comes off in bits and pieces, not really worth the effort.

Thanks for the link, there is a Micheal's close by, I'm going to check the out tomorrow and see if they have it in stock. I'm going to check Amazon to see if they have it if Micheal's doesn't

Thanks

Ron

#28 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

I picked up the product from Micheal's that Min and preeta suggested (liquid latex rubber). The stuff is smelly.

How do I apply it:

1. Thick or thin?
  2. More than one coat?

Thanks

Ron

#29 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

I picked up the product from Micheal's that Min and preeta suggested (liquid latex rubber). The stuff is smelly.

How do I apply it:

1. Thick or thin?
  2. More than one coat?

Thanks

Disposable brush or really soap it up first so you can clean it then just paint it on. One coat is good, if it's too thin it tears when when you lift it off. Maybe try on a shard first. Glaze then just lift an edge with a needle tool and it peels right off.

knowing it exists is not enough, get informed, pass it on

Breast Cancer Awareness  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users