Photo

Qotw: Are You Throwing Wearing Bling Bling?

Question of the week;

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 3rd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:24 AM

I wear a simple gold wedding band and it never comes off... not even sure if it CAN at this point. It doesn't cause trouble most of the time, every once in a while I will be forming a piece that I have 3 fingers inside of and 2 out and the band presses against and makes a little mark.

I do wear a Fitbit unless I am throwing or handbuilding tall enclosed forms where the thing would drag along the side and cause havoc.

I wear several silver hoops at all times in my ears but so far have not stuck my head inside any pieces so they've not been a problem.

I design and wear necklaces and chunkier bracelets but not in the studio, those I only put on as I leave the house. I'm a walking billboard for those and have had people buy the piece I am wearing right off me. Weird but true.... ooo how pretty, thank you I make them... really? Can I buy? Sure go to bla bla site I have a bunch there.... no can I by THIS ONE.... umm sure? I've been wearing it and all... oh I don't care I have to have it..... ummmm okay.... Sale! The strangest things that happen.

Oh and I wear a silver ankle bracelet with a Pug on it, put it on when my first Pug died, have only taken it off for medical procedures since then. She was always at my ankle and she still is.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#22 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

I take off my wedding ring, a simple small band, because it does leave marks when I pick up pieces. This is why God created ring pockets in blue jeans.

Marcia
Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#23 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

I haven't worn my wedding ring in years. I occasionally remember it when we go on vacation, but not usually. I used to wear a watch, and had a bowl in my studio where I put it with my keys and wallet, but I stopped wearing it years ago when I started carrying a cell phone.

I remember a workshop with Mary Law (I think- it was a long time ago) when I was in grad school, and she was on her 3rd or 4th wedding ring. She wore it in the studio every day, and eventually the gold would wear through.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#24 Joe_L

Joe_L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

Don't wear any. Lost my wedding ring when I took it off in a community studio which didn't go down too well at the time, but 20years on for some reason she encouraged me to get back into clay again!

#25 Chilly

Chilly

those who know, teach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

Barely own any, let alone wear it.  Anywhere, especially not with clay.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#26 Kellykopp

Kellykopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSE Indiana

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:11 AM

I love jewelry and wear it when I go out and about, but never in the studio. Keep my nails trimmed, and my long hair is always braided and tied together behind my back or worn in some other "out of my way" fashion. When I was married I still didn't wear my wedding ring in the studio. Too dangerous while using equipment. By the end of a throwing session I am always decorated with clay anyhow, with a dab behind each ear lol and splatters, swipes, and various areas of interest all over my body. In the summertime when I have my studio's windows and doors open for air circulation, last year mosquitoes and the subsequent slapping of them was an added bonus. Clay pig I am and proud of it!!!! Nothing a garden hose won't take care of.

#27 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

My wife has the same problem. She's a veterinarian, so she can't wear bracelets or necklaces because the animals will snag on them.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#28 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

I learned my clay versus ring lesson in high school, about a week after I got me class ring and it disappeared.  Well it finally showed up melted down the side of one of my slab built pots.  When I took it off and it must have gotten pressed into the clay,  I had worked all summer to pay for that ring.  When I got married my husband bought me a nice diamond ring, I just wanted a band but he insisted.  One day when I got to sculpture class I went to take it off and the diamond was missing. I traced my steps back and found it in some broken glass in the parking lot, the diamond had a different reflection.  I had it reset and appraised the value had increased so much I wasn't comfortable wearing it anymore.  I told my husband I knew we were married and that's all I needed,  I bugged him about taking his off for good because he was always working on engines.  He didn't listen to me until he almost had his finger ripped off when his ring got caught in the engine.  Happily married for 44 years and safely working in our shops.    Denice

#29 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

I generally take my rings off, depending on what I'm doing.  I have a wedding ring, and another ring my wife got me, when we were dating in college.

If I'm throwing on the wheel, I will almost always take them off, unless I am quickly trying to help a student, and don't have time.  The smaller ring I mentioned, was nearly lost to the Clay Gods, during my student teaching.  Sat it on the wheel, and it disappeared.  It took a couple looks through the clay balls I had sitting on the wheel, to finally find it.

Now, I put my rings in the small coin/ watch pocket in my jeans/ cargo pants.

When I'm trimming, I usually leave the rings on though.  My hands don't get terribly dirty trimming, so I don't feel the need to take them off.

Like Pres, I too have a Fitbit.  I keep it on when throwing.  If it can stand up to my sweat, it can take a bit of clay.  It usually fairs well, in terms of staying clean.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#30 firenflux

firenflux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:05 PM

I take all jewelry off my hands before throwing. I often forget to put it back on again for weeks until my husband reminds me.

#31 GiselleNo5

GiselleNo5

Clay Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, California

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

I take off my wedding ring, a simple small band, because it does leave marks when I pick up pieces. This is why God created ring pockets in blue jeans.

Marcia

Is THAT what those are?! I always thought it was such a lame pocket for change! LOL

I create order from chaos. And also, chaos from order.

https://www.giselleno5ceramics.com/

GiselleNo5.etsy.com

YouTube-logo-full_color.png?resize=50%2C          instahack.png?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users