Qotw: Are You Throwing Wearing Bling Bling?

I love jewelry and wear it when I go out and about, but never in the studio. Keep my nails trimmed, and my long hair is always braided and tied together behind my back or worn in some other "out of my way" fashion. When I was married I still didn't wear my wedding ring in the studio. Too dangerous while using equipment. By the end of a throwing session I am always decorated with clay anyhow, with a dab behind each ear lol and splatters, swipes, and various areas of interest all over my body. In the summertime when I have my studio's windows and doors open for air circulation, last year mosquitoes and the subsequent slapping of them was an added bonus. Clay pig I am and proud of it!!!! Nothing a garden hose won't take care of.

I learned my clay versus ring lesson in high school, about a week after I got me class ring and it disappeared.  Well it finally showed up melted down the side of one of my slab built pots.  When I took it off and it must have gotten pressed into the clay,  I had worked all summer to pay for that ring.  When I got married my husband bought me a nice diamond ring, I just wanted a band but he insisted.  One day when I got to sculpture class I went to take it off and the diamond was missing. I traced my steps back and found it in some broken glass in the parking lot, the diamond had a different reflection.  I had it reset and appraised the value had increased so much I wasn't comfortable wearing it anymore.  I told my husband I knew we were married and that's all I needed,  I bugged him about taking his off for good because he was always working on engines.  He didn't listen to me until he almost had his finger ripped off when his ring got caught in the engine.  Happily married for 44 years and safely working in our shops.    Denice

I generally take my rings off, depending on what I'm doing.  I have a wedding ring, and another ring my wife got me, when we were dating in college.

If I'm throwing on the wheel, I will almost always take them off, unless I am quickly trying to help a student, and don't have time.  The smaller ring I mentioned, was nearly lost to the Clay Gods, during my student teaching.  Sat it on the wheel, and it disappeared.  It took a couple looks through the clay balls I had sitting on the wheel, to finally find it.

Now, I put my rings in the small coin/ watch pocket in my jeans/ cargo pants.

When I'm trimming, I usually leave the rings on though.  My hands don't get terribly dirty trimming, so I don't feel the need to take them off.

Like Pres, I too have a Fitbit.  I keep it on when throwing.  If it can stand up to my sweat, it can take a bit of clay.  It usually fairs well, in terms of staying clean.

Archived