Photo

Qotw: Are You Throwing Wearing Bling Bling?

Question of the week;

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

Hello my forum friends

I love that "word" - bling bling. I learned about this Hip-Hop expression listening to a terrible shrieking, also called: song (well I was tied to a chair by my nephew :rolleyes:, so I had to listen).

My question has nothing to do with Hip-Hop but with throwing on a potters wheel, or hand building. I often see videos of people throwing with rings on their fingers, bracelet and watches on their wrist or necklaces dangling inches from the wheel. Before I start in my studio, I always first have to remove every jewelry I wear, even my wedding band. I cannot work wearing bling bling.

How about you? Are you wearing jewelry while in the studio?

Carpe Diem everybody!

Evelyne 

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

Advisory Board Member;
Potters Council of The
American Ceramic Society

Member of Swiss Ceramics Association

#2 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

HI, EVELYNE :D

i own none, and wear less.  my problem is my hair.  i need a haircut so bad it hurts and the man who used to cut it has moved to ? :wacko:

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#3 Mark (Marko) Madrazo

Mark (Marko) Madrazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationKingsville, Tx

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

Hi Evelyn,

I wear my wedding ring. My wife had it welded on.  <_<  :D JK. I don't think about it and for the most part I haven't had any clay rips in awhile. Besides, if I take it off, I know I will forget to put it back on. And that might get me fried. Although I have thought about making it into a nose ring.  :huh: or an ear ring. I don't wear any other bling blings.  :D

Hope you're doing well.

#4 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

Never...and that goes hand-in-hand with using eye shields, masks, gloves-all other appropriate/effective protections for health, safety, and not wrecking your work. Even fingernails can wreck a piece when hit on the wrong place at the wrong time. And to say nothing of the horrors of getting some body part/hair caught in something that has moving parts! 

Lee Ustinich

#5 Joy pots

Joy pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCentral Canada

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

I take the ring off & forget it in the studio. I make sure to put it on the ring holder or I'd never find it & I forget to put it back on always.

#6 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

I hate the feeling of having a lovely smooth slab and absent mindedly running my left hand over it and leaving a groove ..... UGH!!!

Might I mention that I almost always forget to take the wedding ring off until it is too late.

Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

#7 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:40 PM

Hi Evelyn,

I wear my wedding ring. My wife had it welded on.  <_<  :D JK. I don't think about it and for the most part I haven't had any clay rips in awhile. Besides, if I take it off, I know I will forget to put it back on. And that might get me fried. Although I have thought about making it into a nose ring.  :huh: or an ear ring. I don't wear any other bling blings.  :D

Hope you're doing well.

Think your wife needs to talk to my husband. He's a judo sensei and can't wear rings when on the mats. His wedding ring was getting tight so in a hurry one day he took a pair of tin snips and cut it right through to get it off. Guess the look on my face was a little much, he took the ring into a jewellers and had it enlarged and repaired. I keep my wedding ring on, would never hear the end of it if now I went and lost it.

knowing it exists is not enough, get informed, pass it on

Breast Cancer Awareness  

#8 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

of course, you never mentioned dropping tools onto a freshly made piece. :(

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#9 terrim8

terrim8

oh oh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

I can't wear things like rings or watches while working with clay or any kind of work. In fact there's a diamond somewhere in this basement- probably down a crack on the edge of the foundation somewhere and I've never found it. It was bling'd off while working with a sander and searching for 100 myo fossils in amber. I used to sit down here with a microscope and a bag of amber finding fossils and the amber had to be polished very well for micro-photography. Learned the hard way not to mix bling with work!

PS I found little feathers!

#10 MatthewV

MatthewV

Alaskan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

I am not sure if I could throw without a giant gold dollar sign hanging around my neck.

Make More Mistakes

#11 dhPotter

dhPotter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationDuck Hill, MS

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

MatthewV is that for inspiration!

I never wear any kind of bling, not even a watch. Took the wedding ring off 30 years ago (we recently celebrated 32 years of marital bliss, ha). I can't stand anything on my fingers, wrists, ankles or around my neck.

#12 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,027 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

I used to always wear my wedding ring when working, whether teaching or creating. However, after about 25 years, it got sharp on edges where it was worn, and I took it off. I now have a newer one, we bought another pair a few years ago, and I take that one off in the shop. I also take off the fitbit that I usually wear, and as my hair is shorter than it ever was when younger, not hair band. I do not wear the hat in the shop! However, when demonstrating in Summer outside always throw wearing one. Vanity, Vanity, Vanity some would say. . . . try treating  silver dollar sized blisters after throwing in the sun for 3 days.

best, 

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#13 Joseph F

Joseph F

no longer burnt out... yay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

i used to never take off my wedding ring. now it just sits in my wifes jewelry cup. i tried taking it off and on all the time but my knuckles kept swelling, and leaving that thing on was brutal because grit would get under it and rub my finger raw. i need to sharpie a ring around my ring finger.

#14 GiselleNo5

GiselleNo5

Clay Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, California

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

I always wear big earrings but since my ears don't get near the clay I've never had a problem. I don't put the earrings ON just to go into the studio, in fact if I remember that I'm wearing them I'll take them off but mostly I forget. 

I don't wear any rings, bracelets or necklaces ever (once in a while when I go out I will), and I keep my nails clipped down to almost nothing. I have very busy hands, always cooking, cleaning, washing dishes, playing with my kid, sewing, writing, typing. Add to that working with clay daily and I don't have the patience or focus to keep putting on and taking off rings and bracelets. I'm with the others who said they would just lose them. ALL. I would lose them all. LOL

Oh, and I do keep my hair back. It's pretty short though, above my shoulders. The idea of leaving long hair untied and having it wrap around and around the wheel is sickening. Better to keep it back just in case!! :( 

I create order from chaos. And also, chaos from order.

https://www.giselleno5ceramics.com/

GiselleNo5.etsy.com

YouTube-logo-full_color.png?resize=50%2C          instahack.png?1

#15 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

i used to never take off my wedding ring. now it just sits in my wifes jewelry cup. i tried taking it off and on all the time but my knuckles kept swelling, and leaving that thing on was brutal because grit would get under it and rub my finger raw. i need to sharpie a ring around my ring finger.

or tattoo a wedding ring? start a new trend

knowing it exists is not enough, get informed, pass it on

Breast Cancer Awareness  

#16 Joseph F

Joseph F

no longer burnt out... yay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

or tattoo a wedding ring? start a new trend

lol.. im not much of a trend starter. i dont know how people take their ring off and on all the time, my knuckles are nearly twice the size of my finger where the ring goes. i had to oil my finger on our wedding day so my wife could get the darn thing on at the ceremony cause we tried before a few times and it was a struggle. hahahah

#17 Diesel Clay

Diesel Clay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

I wear a small chain necklace, close to my body. It doesn't generally get in the way. Fun fact: I'm not technically married. Well, we've lived Common Law for 17 years, so I suppose that's married enough, what with 2 kids and all. It's legal enough for Rev Can.
I do wear my Oma's wedding set on my right hand, but I leave them off if I'm working in clay. I tend to put them on when I leave the house though.

#18 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:01 PM

No, I am wearing blob blob
Marcia

Attached Files

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#19 Roberta12

Roberta12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

just earrings.  I cannot STAND to have clay under my ring.  Drives me nuts!  To say nothing of the damage I could inflict upon a piece!! 

Roberta

#20 What?

What?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

I have a simple wedding band. I did remove it for about six months and my wife was bothered by it greatly. Ring on. Not in the studio though. It goes in one of two places so I don't loose it. When in community studio it goes on my carabineer key ring. It does not hinder me when throwing. It is the wedging and handling of forms in the soft to leather hard phase. Nothing like handling a few pieces and BAM little impressions in the surface.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users