Tell Me Why This Is A Bad Idea 2

I want to resurface my kiln shelves with fresh wash.

I plan on using my 24" wide drum sander to remove the old wash. I plan on using a 220 grit paper and just lightly skim off the old stuff.

The drum sander is connected to a dust collection system that dumps the larger wooden particles into 33 gallon drum and the finer particles get passed into a collection bag that has a 0.5 micron exhaust filter.

With this setup some of fine dust mightl get caught in the 33 gallon drum.

Sometime this summer I would like to do pit firing using the wood chips that I've collected in the drum. Will the kiln wash particles that got trapped with the wood chips cause a problem?

This is the same type of sander for refinishing wood floors? I have used them on floors. I hope you can control it on your shelves. As for the pit firing, I would think the silica from the kiln wash could impede efficient burning of the wood chips by coating the surface of the wood.I have done a lot of pit firing.

Marcia.

You'll probably do more damage to the drum than the shelf. The shelf is a lot harder than wood. I would say first go over it with an angle grinder to make sure you've gotten all the sharp glassy bits off, then use the drum sander to do the last little bit. My only concern is what type of pressure the sander will put on the shelf if it's not perfectly flat. I'd do an old crappy shelf first.

@ Mathew

I hadn't thought about the glass shredding the paper

Most of the problem is flaking wash, the couple of small drops of glass I removed with a dremel

@ Neil

Left to right the difference in height is less than 0.01" and I can adjust the height in gradients about as thick as 20# copy paper. I do need to be careful,  If I do this I would take off a whisper at a time

@ Marcia

The drum sander is the type that is used to sand small door frames such as those used on cabinets. No chance of gouging the shelf.

I would think the silica from the kiln wash could impede efficient burning of the wood chips by coating the surface of the wood.

And this seems to be the crux of the problem,  The whole reason I wanted to do this on the drum sander was for dust control. If I can't figure a way to easily separate the silica from the wood I just might have to use elbow grease and a P100 mask instead. (I don't really want to clear out the wood chips yet)

I have done a lot of pit firing.

@ Madam Understatement

Your work is amazing and an inspiration to what I've been doing lately on the wheel and is a catalyst to why I want to try a pit fire this summer.

Hand held belt sanders are great, we use to have races with them to see how far they would go after they pulled themselves out of the wall socket. There is a small risk of gouging the shelf with one.

I have a few palm sanders with dust ports for a shop vac, I think I'm going to use one of them.

Archived