Table Top Slab Roller

Chris Campbell

I have an 18 inch Northstar. Not the portable one, mine is bolted to a table, but otherwise it's the same. I love it and would buy it again. Very reliable workhorse. It's a very simple machine compared to many other slab rollers I've seen, that's why I can't imagine it breaking down. 

I wish I could go to the NCECA. still not this year. Maybe the next. Of course I have been saying that for the last 3 years. One DAY! Until then I need a slab roller.

They don't appear to make the 18'' tabled version anymore, or I can't find it at least. The smallest table version they have now is a 24'' one. I have no need for one that big. So I think I will end up with the table top version. It makes the most sense I think for what I need it for. 

Thanks for your helps peoples. I appreciate it.

I would recommend going with a table mounted one if you can add a couple hundred more to your budget, less hassle. Baileys has one for around $750 with frame, counter-tops and canvas.

I have both, bought the small one to save money and space but it's a pain to clear space and put away and pull out. Because of handles, rollers and such you have to be careful where you put it and not stack anything on it.

I missed just rolling out the slab and moving on with no fuss. New studio next month will be with the larger table mounted and I am excited to retire the tabletop.   

Hi all. Almost home after huge visit to friends and family, wedding, etc. on east coast. Heading back today to Montana. 

Slab rollers: I have a Bailey. My second. The first was purchased in 1980 or so. My current one (2002) was a step up to a large table top and 30" wide. Love it.Northstar has improved greatly since I used the early model in my classroom. It had adjustments for thickness on each side and students could get it lopsided.  Brent's have cables to adjust, they fray and prick your fingers. PITA factor.

Can never say enough about Bailey and their customer service. Always improving their designs. 

Slab mat: been using them for years. Time for some fresh ones. The ones that survived the toxic air in Texas are crumbling. Guess they really didn't survive it after all.  I have a question about those vertical slab rollers. A friend from Brazil is interested because her studio is really small. Will start another thread for that. 

Marcia

Well! I have to say that I am super happy with my table top slab roller. The build is heavy duty and it feels wonderful rolling these beautiful slabs out. I have to say I am in love. Thousands of tiles will be forthcoming.  Northstar Porta Roller FTW! I had buyers remorse for a while thinking maybe I had wasted my money. But I am very happy with how easy it is to make a slab. Cut of chunk of clay. Slap it flatter a few times then roll it through. Easy peasy. 

Archived