to keep glaze in suspension

T&Kpotts

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it, but you can add some CMC to the glaze to help with suspension. Definitely more expensive than Epsom salts or bentonite, but it works also and won't change the chemical makeup. We always keep a jug of prewet CMC in studio, mixed to a thick elephant snot consistency. It's a good thing to have in studio as it has many applications. One of the most beneficial things besides suspension agent is it will help the brushability of your glaze and will dry to a "coating" on your piece so the glaze is more resistant to powdering off on your hands when you touch it during kiln loading.

I cannot remember who gave the idea to keep the Epsom salts in a suspension, but a big thank you again. I have a huge canister of it, and everyone in the studio uses it. We also use a hydro thingie to measure the SG of the glaze. We all use it now before we start glazing, to ensure that the consistency of the glaze is similar to a previous glaze day. I used to use it when I was still making my own slip, as I did not have a scale that I could use.

Archived