Armatures

Well, I am still a fan of exterior armatures using 2x4 s and a screw gun or threaded black pipe in conjunction with ace bandages and other material that allow the clay to shrink as it dries. Interior armatures for sculpture are great if they are just incorporated into the piece like I beams in a building. Post and lentil and other architectural structures can be employed as permanent structures in the piece that also help in firing when pyroplastic issues need to be thought about. If you are building large or small solid pieces that you plan to do the pumpkin carving technique with then black pipe armatures that can thread-together and be reused are great for strong interiors strength. Beth Cavener Stricters web site can be a great source to see this technique, http://www.followtheblackrabbit.com/material.htm . Then once the piece starts getting to a hard leather hard stage, cut it up hollow it out and score and slip the pieces back together. If you are needing to just prop up an arm or appendage make a tube out of clay that comes to a point and have that point support the part of the piece that needs support. You can then use this same piece that is supporting the piece during making and drying but also in the firing if it is a clay that gets plastic at its final firing stage. Have fun!

I am new to sculpting in clay. I would like some input on what types of armatures could be used to support a sculpture without having to be removed for firing.

Paper clay! Make your armature out of bone dry paper clay supports. Leave it in. fire it in place.

I am new to sculpting in clay. I would like some input on what types of armatures could be used to support a sculpture without having to be removed for firing.

Paper clay! Make your armature out of bone dry paper clay supports. Leave it in. fire it in place.

Well, I am still a fan of exterior armatures using 2x4 s and a screw gun or threaded black pipe in conjunction with ace bandages and other material that allow the clay to shrink as it dries. Interior armatures for sculpture are great if they are just incorporated into the piece like I beams in a building. Post and lentil and other architectural structures can be employed as permanent structures in the piece that also help in firing when pyroplastic issues need to be thought about. If you are building large or small solid pieces that you plan to do the pumpkin carving technique with then black pipe armatures that can thread-together and be reused are great for strong interiors strength. Beth Cavener Stricters web site can be a great source to see this technique, http://www.followtheblackrabbit.com/material.htm . Then once the piece starts getting to a hard leather hard stage, cut it up hollow it out and score and slip the pieces back together. If you are needing to just prop up an arm or appendage make a tube out of clay that comes to a point and have that point support the part of the piece that needs support. You can then use this same piece that is supporting the piece during making and drying but also in the firing if it is a clay that gets plastic at its final firing stage. Have fun!

Well thank you! I have used celluclay, is that similar to paper clay ? I have yet to build over it.

Paperclay is a combination of your regular clay and some paper fiber. I think celluclay is more of a papermache type product. Not the same thing.

Archived