22 replies to this topic

#21 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

Ya know I think mugs and corresponding prices have to be separated into two very distinct pots. A labor intensive mug with hand carving and/or hand painted can absolutely fetch $30-$50 even at the small shows I do. Its a beautiful pot that folks that enjoy pottery and coffee can use, appreciate and admire every day.

BUT a nice dipped large mug I just don't see it in any numbers. I need to move dozens, as mugs are my main thing and any time I put a price out of the teens sells plummet, People admire and compliment and you can often see them trying to justify as they pick up and hold and admire. $20+ is just a lot for the average person to justify for a coffee mug. At $15 my tri-dipped are just fine labor wise as I have about 20-25 minutes in a mug these days. 

I should clarify I do pedestrian shows with booth fees mostly under $200 and are not high end art shows. I am aslo in the south not on the east coast.

I have settled in at $15 for large mugs and they sell in much better numbers and I average 2.5 mugs production an hour which is prob $25 an hour after show and other expenses deducted. I have just made this determination starting this weekend and I think I will stay there. I have tried $24 down to $18 and mixed in discounts for multiples and the flat $15 seems to work.

#22 firenflux

firenflux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

Between $28 and $60 depending on size and amount of detail.

#23 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

Attached File  espressomugs copy.jpg   55.98KB   0 downloads
I donated espresso mugs to NCECA Scholarship sale last year.
I think they sold for $30 each.These hold a double shot of espresso. My husband uses a bunch of them.
Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users