Ceramic Wall Panel Heaters

I have to share these heaters.

Antoinette Badenhorst had these in her studio. I really liked them. I have 5 in my studio which is 10% more than was recommended for my space of 560 sq ft, insulated.

They are convection heaters, no blowers. 400W each. Fantastic. 8-18 inches is the recommended height from the floor. Due to a concrete footing on my walls, I mounted them to plywood with an insulated backing for the outside walls. They take a while to heat up. Antionette's husband , Koos, recommended leaving them on constantly. I'll see what my next bill looks like.Koos even mentioned mounting on cabinets. They seem really great. No plumbing or wiring necessary. They plug into the wall socket. They come with all the mollie bolts, bolts, caps, and a drill bit for installation. wires running cool.They cost $54 -45 each.

Very satisfied. I have my wheel sitting between 2 on the outer wall. I wanted a view out the window. They are about 6 feet on either side of my wheel. They should not be mounted under window, next to a door or close to an open stairway in order to run efficiently.

Marcia

post-1954-0-67711700-1486831157_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-69406500-1486831180_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-65570700-1486831205_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-95821100-1486831222_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-67399500-1486831242_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-67711700-1486831157_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-69406500-1486831180_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-65570700-1486831205_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-95821100-1486831222_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-67399500-1486831242_thumb.jpg

Very cool, but likely very expensive to run. It takes a lot of electricity to create heat, as we all know from running our kilns. You've got 2000 watts running, so 48kwh per day. I pay 17 cents per kwh, so that would cost me more than $8 per day. Over a month that's $245 to heat a 560 square foot space. It would be cheaper in the long run to put in a hanging gas heater. I heat my 1200 square foot studio for $77 a month on budget billing, so figure $150 at most during the cold months.

I use a parabolic heater, heats with infrared with a little convection. Warms me up instead of the room, I’m not trying to heat the whole room therefore more economical. Wouldn’t work in a classroom setting but is brilliant in my situation. Lots of variables here, area to heat, drafts/insulation, outside temp, electric rates etc. 

post-747-0-58835900-1486835327_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-58835900-1486835327_thumb.jpg

I stole my husbands dyson. Bought him an electric blanket in exchange. Now I have peace & quiet at night and warmth in my basement studio.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dyson-AM04-Hot-Cool-Heater/dp/B01BPCG5K0/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1486842687&sr=1-7&keywords=dyson

I had a lot to say about it costing too much then I stole it.

Neil,

Our rates are lower but complex with supply service charge and a tariff. Koos said they were extremely inexpensive to run. he had four running. I just put in the 5th to match my calculations. But if you are right, I 'll be switching over. I really like these though. I hope they don't cost that much to operate. Will keep you posted.I may just have to run the one next to clay storage to protect it from freezing.

Marcia

Forced air also tends to dry everything out.

And it can be loud.

I am not sure if I would switch myself.

In my opinion, the best studio heating system would be in floor from a condensing furnace.

(oh, and I'll be happy my heating bills, also forced air gas, are less than Neil's. My studio is only a little smaller and Alaska is probably colder. My kiln does help heat the space.)

Yes. In the floor heat is the way to go, but it wasn't available in this house which was built in the 1970s.

Just checked our last electric bill in Montana. Electric was 18.21 for 481 KWH so it was .037/kwh so to heat my studio should run $60 for 2000 KWH. I am very much relieved to figure that out. Very inexpensive electricity.

Marcia

Yes. In the floor heat is the way to go, but it wasn't available in this house which was built in the 1970s.

Just checked our last electric bill in Montana. Electric was 18.21 for 481 KWH so it was .037/kwh so to heat my studio should run $60 for 2000 KWH. I am very much relieved to figure that out. Very inexpensive electricity.

Marcia

Did you just look at the kwh line on your bill? There are a lot of other charges in there that have to be figured in, too. My bill has 3 or 4 lines of charges. Take the total monthly bill and divide it by the kwh used for the month to get the true cost.

(oh, and I'll be happy my heating bills, also forced air gas, are less than Neil's. My studio is only a little smaller and Alaska is probably colder. My kiln does help heat the space.)

My shop is super drafty. Big overhead door, block walls, no insulation, end unit. It's a warehouse type space, no finished walls, concrete floor, flat metal roof with gravel cover.

Yes Neil. There is a gas charge and an electric charge. I read the definitions on the website. There is a service tariff,and some other things. But my husband read the bill as it is sent to Texas for the moment. So the electricity charge was 18.21 for 472 KWH.Gas was more.

My shop is insulated. Even the garage doors are insulated. I put some weather stripping on the walkout door. No drafts. Cozy. The house it too. It can get pretty cold in Ill. The total bill for the period was $48 for Dec. January cycle.

Marcia

I get a little heat from our house unit but not enough to call it warm,  I think it stays around 55.  My son left behind one of those heaters that looks like a radiator, I turn it on in the morning when I get up.  If it is really cold I turn on a small electric fan to move the warm air around.  By the time I get out to my studio it is at a good working temp.  Since I spend most of my time in the studio I leave the house heat turned down and just keep my studio warm during the day.  We don't have much winter left here, it was 75 today.  Yeah  Denice

One Winter I heated the shop the entire month of February to get some orders out. I had to leave the heat on day and night in a brick garage with un-insulated garage door. Temp never got over 55F. This is with an electric wall heater with fan, and a space heater. Heat for the month was $500. This Winter, I have done some throwing in the shop when we have had days above 40F. Only used the wall heater with the fan, only got as warm as 65F. but then I wear insulated pants and long sleeve shirt with undershirt. Keep the heat on overnight before trimming so that the pots don't freeze if the temp drops below freezing. Thinking of part solution is to insulate the garage door, with R19 foam, or replace it, which is much more expensive, but either would help. Sad to say, but the warming trends we fear, may make my Winter months more productive.

best,

Pres

My glazes etc, in my insulated shop do not freeze.  And like Montana, we can get weeks of below zero weather. I use a small electric shop heater to warm things up if I am going to work out there or if we have extended periods of cold and no sunshine.  However, if I were throwing out in the shop, I would probably rethink my heating situation.  The lowest temp I have noted in the shop is 35. 

Roberta

when I was a resident artist/caretaker in Upstate NY, I heated a studio with a wood stove and overnight with a kerosene heater.We had a German shepherd who would stay up all night with me when I fired my gas kiln. She would dose off sitting up. I split a lot of logs for that stove. -sledge hammer and a wedge on a stump.

Youth!

Marcia

Archived