Sinks

I have had my wheel for six months now, and trying to figure out what products I would like to make/sell? I have always liked sinks, made a master mold of one with a drain assembly; but cracked it. Crystalline sinks are a high profit margin type of item; even more appealing. I also have a porcelain body that I can slab roll down to an 1/8th of inch. I do believe it would make great pendant lights; it is very translucent- also perfect for crystalline glaze. Trying to produce a crystalline glaze line of products other than my tiles.

Insights on these products anyone? My throwing skills still need developed, but sinks are high up on my "to sell" list.

Nerd

ClayGlaze interface

You can see how translucent the porcelain body is here; even though it is a much thicker wall.

I make sinks a lot thicker than I would a normal bowl of that size, so it's less likely to warp in the firing and less likely to break if someone drops a cup in it. So for a standard 16" sink, which has to be thrown to almost 19", I use 17 pounds of clay. I make them as a vessel (sit on top of the counter), or as a drop-in with a flared rim. I leave a thick ring, like a second foot ring, around the drain hole so there's a good solid area to tighten up the drain assembly. I also trim a recess around the drain hole on the inside so the drain flange sits low so all the water drains out.

I have had my wheel for six months now, and trying to figure out what products I would like to make/sell? I have always liked sinks, made a master mold of one with a drain assembly; but cracked it. Crystalline sinks are a high profit margin type of item; even more appealing. I also have a porcelain body that I can slab roll down to an 1/8th of inch. I do believe it would make great pendant lights; it is very translucent- also perfect for crystalline glaze. Trying to produce a crystalline glaze line of products other than my tiles.

Insights on these products anyone? My throwing skills still need developed, but sinks are high up on my "to sell" list.

Nerd

You can see how translucent the porcelain body is here; even though it is a much thicker wall.

Hey, Nerd,

I would think it might be easier to make the sinks using a slab over a hump mold and throwing the pendant shades, instead of the other way around.

JK

neil how many sinks do you have to make to get one successful sink? from throwing to firing?

I would say that at least 3 out of 4 are successful. If anything goes wrong, it's usually a glaze issue, not a clay problem like cracking. And it depends on the glazing technique. If I'm layering glazes there's rarely a problem. If I need a perfect single glaze, the loss rate is higher.

Johnny:

Been thinking about the process: I can see a combination of both forming methods. Throwing it to a certain point, and then finish the forming in a mold. Still sorta of working this out in my mind.

GEP: Pendant lights have been on my mind for awhile now. Shades for regular ceiling lights as well. Thought about small table lamps: lots to weigh and consider.

Nerd

Archived