Wheels/coasters For Northstar 30" Slab Roller

davidr36

I'm looking for suggestions on how best to "mobilize" my Northstar 30" slab roller.  I've installed 4" lockable wheels (Ace Hardware standard), but the "feet" of the table legs can't support their weight; the feet buckle inward.  I've considered having metal bars fabricated to provide additional bracing across the bottom.  Anyone had success in this area and want to share his/her experience?  Thanks!

I'm understanding that the Northstar legs are to wimpy ??

Instead of metal reinforcements how about a piece of 3/4 plywood with the rollers on that and the table sits on that-then you have a shelve under to store stuff and it all rolls around.

I will say I'm not a Northstar fan as the stuff is made for light duty-they are getting better but your issue reminds me that they are not yet there.

David:

I have a 30" Northstar roller mounted on 300lb rollers. By some 1 x 4 lumber, cut them to length and build a carriage at the base of the legs. It will stabilize the unit so it can be moved easily. I can snap some pics if you need more info, or a visual guide.

Nerd

Someone gifted me a NorthStar 30" slab roller - I see exactly your issue with the legs being too flimsy for casters....actually I gave the slab roller away too, I hated that thing and the wonderfully designed plastic gears and roller assembly  :wacko:

My solution was to build a platform base, on plate casters, made with 2x3 lumber and a sheet of OSB plywood over the top.  To this, I simply lag-bolted down the legs of the slab roller...and I get a storage shelf underneath for misc items.  I was ok with the extra 5" of height since I typically don't even bother using a slab roller unless it's larger than 18" square.

Archived