Claybody For Beginner - Grogged And Weight.

so this semester i am focused on throwing tall and shaping - mostly vase forms.

so i am discovering i have to think about the claybody.

i consider myself still very much a beginner who is definitely improving.

1. is it better to throw with firmer clay as opposed to softer clay? i have discovered i cant use as soft a clay as i did for cups and bowls (even 5lb bowls).

now i throw very dry (with slip), but it takes me a few pulls to get the form perfect (essentially using more slip) and i always try to not use any more slip than i have to. its not so much my outside hand that needs water. its the hand that goes inside around the area between my wrist and top of thumb.

2. Grog helps right? Not very fine grog. i am struggling to not open up the top very much. i am going to use the mirror trick to try and keep my eyes away from the pot to keep the form from opening out too much at the mouth.

i am either throwing a little thicker (so it doesnt collapse) or coming back the next day to continue throwing so it does not collapse. i dont have access to heat right now except for a hair dryer. 

i have finally entered the know your clay body stage i feel. i notice now it no longer is about which clay is nicer to throw. its more about which will stay up and take my beatings.  

i am going to venture to our local clay manufacturer soon because now i understand the meaning of the statement 'this sculpture clay is pretty good to throw too' said by the sales person who throws tall.

also is there a weight difference in different stoneware claybodies. if i throw thin with size adn shape being the same with two different stoneware bodies could they weigh different? 

i have had more collapses than successful forms. its taken me two weeks to realize how important a role clay plays in my success. thanks to you all i have learnt to figure out plasticity and even too much plasticity.

good for you, preeta.  you are still learning skills.  you will continue to learn skills as long as you touch clay.  you will just have to SURVIVE many kinds of experiences and learn from them all.  change only one thing at a time so you know which thing is   "IT"!

so this semester i am focused on throwing tall and shaping - mostly vase forms.

so i am discovering i have to think about the claybody.

i consider myself still very much a beginner who is definitely improving.

1. is it better to throw with firmer clay as opposed to softer clay? i have discovered i cant use as soft a clay as i did for cups and bowls (even 5lb bowls).

ANS:I think it is better to always throw with a firmer clay, but that is my preference. 

now i throw very dry (with slip), but it takes me a few pulls to get the form perfect (essentially using more slip) and i always try to not use any more slip than i have to. its not so much my outside hand that needs water. its the hand that goes inside around the area between my wrist and top of thumb.

ANS Both need water. If either hit a dry spot , the form will twist.

2. Grog helps right? Not very fine grog. i am struggling to not open up the top very much. i am going to use the mirror trick to try and keep my eyes away from the pot to keep the form from opening out too much at the mouth.

ANS. The mirror is not a trick, it saves you from needing to get up to check the form. I throw without grog if I am using porcelain.

i am either throwing a little thicker (so it doesnt collapse) or coming back the next day to continue throwing so it does not collapse. i dont have access to heat right now except for a hair dryer. 

ANS Hair dryers work. you can sponge off or scrape off the slip and heat up the wall.

i have finally entered the know your clay body stage i feel. i notice now it no longer is about which clay is nicer to throw. its more about which will stay up and take my beatings.

ANS That is a good thing to know.

i am going to venture to our local clay manufacturer soon because now i understand the meaning of the statement 'this sculpture clay is pretty good to throw too' said by the sales person who throws tall.

also is there a weight difference in different stoneware claybodies. if i throw thin with size adn shape being the same with two different stoneware bodies could they weigh different? 

ANS I don't think there would be a significant difference.- Marcia

i have had more collapses than successful forms. its taken me two weeks to realize how important a role clay plays in my success. thanks to you all i have learnt to figure out plasticity and even too much plasticity.

Archived