#21 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

I had kiln gloves once. Several lovely sets of welder's, heavy leather, kevlar, & other materials for different environments and conditions. Cost a small fortune (onmy budget). Then I went out of state for a week's vacation. When I came back, the big fat rat (& maybe some buddies) that invaded my happy home had destroyed-thoroughly destroyed--all of my gloves (to say nothing of the foam core, the boots, and the etc. etc.) I rakued him and he will not be chewing up my stuff anymore.

Lee Ustinich

#22 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

I do a yearly Raku firing with my Art Club students.  It's something to look forward to, at the end of our busy Fall season (Homecoming button design/ production and a Blood Drive we sponsor).  

I built my own kiln several years ago, with a trash can and ceramic fiber blanket.  I use a simple weed burner for mine, as that's all it really takes to get it to temperature.  

We fire outside the school, on a large concrete patio area.  I go over safety procedures repeatedly.  The LP tank is as far away as the torch hose allows.  The students unloading and tending to the reduction bins are wearing welding gloves and safety glasses.

Someone on these forums posted a method for building your own Raku tongs a few years ago.  I had already purchased mine, when I came across the instructions, or I may have tried to build my own.

Not to say mine don't work well, but the hinge bolt snapped on both of them, with only moderate use.  One of the times, I was going to grab something out of the kiln!  Luckily I had a spare set.  So I've replaced both bolts, with something a bit more dependable.

I love the Raku process, and the students really enjoy it as well.  My school hosted our Conference Art Show a couple years ago, and I had a Raku demonstration for an activity.  My students and I made little vases with the initials for the other schools stamped on them.  So each school had something to take home with them.  

The other instructors and students loved it.  

The only downside to Raku, it's the gateway process to other alternative firings.  There should be a support group...

• Min likes this
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#23 Chilly

Chilly

those who know, teach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

The only downside to Raku, it's the gateway process to other alternative firings.  There should be a support group...

lol

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#24 Tyler G

Tyler G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

http://www.bigcerami...-raku-kiln.html

Does anyone have thoughts on a kiln such as this?

Olympic 18 Raku Kiln 

#25 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

http://www.bigcerami...-raku-kiln.html

Does anyone have thoughts on a kiln such as this?

Olympic 18 Raku Kiln 

That'll work. I like those because they're made of soft brick, not fiber. Much safer for your lungs. Be sure to get the optional ignition system. You don't want to blow up any kids.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

[email protected]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users