Firing Earthenware Jugs - Basic Questions

I've recently stated using an earthenware clay in an attempt to get a whiter background for my sgraffito/illustrated jugs. I fire this at approx 1100 degrees C – cone 03.

Up to now I haven't glazed the base, but I'd like to. Is it best to use the triangular ceramic stilts you can buy?

There also seems to be some 'metal pointed' stilts.

Which is best?  How do you decide what size to use?

The jugs have a flat base approx 100mm/4inch diameter

post-61816-0-81849200-1486028116_thumb.jpg

If you have some kiln element you can make your own stilts. Cut off little 'stilts' from the elements, stick them into a clay base and bisque. Job done. 

Have you tried firing some earthenware to cone6 yet to see if they hold up/vitrify at cone6?

Thanks Joel, I've not tried this exact clay at cone 6 but I need to keep these ones at white as possible.

Valentines suggested a body they call KGM which apparently is half earthenware half stoneware so that is one I plan to try out soon :)

Oly

For the first few years in ceramics I used a white Texas earthen ware that was typically fired ~ cone 04, but the studio fired it to cone 3 in oxidation.  It was tight, fully mature, and did not slump or warp, especially on mugs.  I now use it for a decorative glaze accent at cone 10 reduction.

Make some prototype mugs and fire them without glaze and see what happens with the white earthenware you have.  You will find a firing temperature that will produce good water tight mugs.  Then develop a glaze that works at that temperature.  Use that glaze as a base and make mugs. 

LT

Archived