Need Help Pricing A Sitter Kiln Model Lt-3K

larro11

My mother has just bought a brand new kiln and has asked me to sell her old one for her ( she's in her 70's and not at all tech savvy).

My problem is I have no idea what to price it for. I know it's in excellent working condition. She still has the operating manual as well.

I have pictures but It's telling me that each file (picture) is too big. FYI I'm trying to do this all from my phone.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you in advance

Thanks for the FYI Mea and the phone app advice Neil... I just figured out how to post the pictures in the gallery(I think).I'll also try the suggested app to resize pics so I can post them in the forum. Hopefully someone can let me know what a fair price would be. Then I guess eBay might be the best place to sell it

The Potters' Attic on Facebook is for buying and selling. Take a look at what kilns are going for there. This is a smallish kiln. Is it 17 w x 27 D? interior dimensions. It looks like a nice little kiln. Has some problems with glaze on the floor but the bricks look to be in decent condition. Not computer controls, old time setter. I'd think $100-200 or so depending on what you include like furniture.

Marcia

Yea it's manual and I guess I shoulda measured. Will do that in the AM. Also when you say furniture I assume you mean those plate doohickeys and those square legs. She has lots of both in all sizes.... ( I'm completely ignorant when it comes to these things, as I'm sure you can tell so I really appreciate your help)

Thanks

Larry

Please be aware that the "kiln model LT-3K" is not the model number or brand of the kiln. The kiln sitter is a manual control device commonly used by numerous kiln manufacturers. There were a couple of different ways of putting the kiln sitter together, and each manufacturer used the particular model/style that fit their kiln design. LT-3K is one of them. The actual kiln manufacturer, model number, and electrical specifications should be printed on a metal plate attached somewhere on the side of the red switch case. That is the important information that a buyer will need to know.

Pretty sure that's an Evenheat brand kiln. Good kilns. I used to have one just like it but only 18" tall. I used it for many years. The down side of this kiln is that is only has on-off switches for each element, so it's difficult to fire slowly. It works, though, it's just not as forgiving as kilns with low-med-high switches. It's a good candidate to hook up to an external digital controller. The bricks are in great condition, so that's good. I think Marcia is right, about $200 with furniture.

we see lots of kilns called "Sitter", many, many of them.  once you find all the electrical info on the plate, list the name, interior dimensions, and all the electrical info on that plate.  say it has a kiln sitter and call the square things showing inside the kiln "posts" and the flat things are "shelves"  or "half shelves".  count them and include that info in your ad.  and the stand it is on.  take everything out of the interior, it is bad to put weight on the interior and on the top so keep it clean.

it is in good condition.  put some lights on when you take photos and if you have a camera it might help to reach down and hold the camera lens so people can see what the wires inside those dark grooves look like.  straight up and down coils are perfect.  if they are angled over as though they are falling the kiln needs new elements, something a buyer will want to know.  ask your mom how high she fired, get a cone number.  there are two cones 6, one is actually 06 and is much cooler that cone 6.  make sure you get the right one.

some people look at ads for new kilns and foolishly think about half that for a used one.  not so.  $200 sounds reasonable for a buyer and if you need to clear it out, that will bring a buyer faster than a high price.

• 2 years later...

I have a kiln with low to high switches to adjust .. never used this type before? does anyone know how you use these when firing... I'm confused with the process? it's a sandstone kiln.. with a timer and your normal cone that switches off.. I just need help with these 2 new knobs for low to high adjustments please!!!

• 3 weeks later...

i do not know a thing i found a old dead wheel in the woods

i got it working but i was given a Sitter Kiln  it is 120v

and thats all i know I will be taking a potter class

they told me they do not do any thing other there own kiln

so I looking for a dvd or youtube or any info on how to use this thanks Don

14 minutes ago, i beDon said:

i do not know a thing i found a old dead wheel in the woods

i got it working but i was given a Sitter Kiln  it is 120v

and thats all i know I will be taking a potter class

they told me they do not do any thing other there own kiln

so I looking for a dvd or youtube or any info on how to use this thanks Don

You'll need to make sure the wiring and circuit can handle the amperage it's going to draw.  You should be able to find a nameplate on it with the specifications of the kiln.  After that you should be able to type in "how to fire a manual kiln with kilnsitter" in YouTube and get a bunch of videos showing the process.

• 11 months later...
46 minutes ago, glare lt-3k klin said:

i have a modle lt-3k klin  was wondering how much its worth glare

LT-3K is the model fo the Kiln Sitter shutoff device, not the kiln. There should be a serial plate on the kiln that says the actual model number, voltage, phase, watts, etc. I assume you mean Gare, not Glare? Value depends on the size and condition, but in general those old kilns aren't worth much, maybe $300 unless it's a large one.

• 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, Tory said:

Here is a picture of 4 different kilns I would like priced!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YUc5ZWVjtyDXt5KF6 

It all depends on the condition if the bricks, elements, wiring, location, etc. Your best bet is to do some online searches for used kilns in your area on Facebook or Craigslist and find comparable models. In general, though, little test kilns are usually only worth about $100 max. Studio kilns can go for $300 on up depending on condition. 

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Sitter kiln, Model LT-3 said:

Purchased a brand new sitter kiln LT-3 in 2018 w/ 1 table. Never used -EVER at this point. Can provide pix (not yet taken). Where do I start to resell?

You can post it in the Community Marketplace section of the forum. You'll need pictures, location, and price. What brand/model is it? LT-3 is the model of the Kiln Sitter shutoff device, which were used on most brands of kilns prior to digital controllers.

take the pictures of the whole exterior, the inside of the lid, the inside of the kiln elements, a shot of the bottom interior,  a close-up of the metal plate with the manufacturer's name and the  electrical info on it, the end of the cord  and put measurements in the ad.   and please put them right side up.   hold the camera inside the kiln and aim at the walls for the elements condition.

if you are including shelves and posts or other furniture, separate photo.  DO NOT stack shelves on top of the lid!   a fingernail can dent softbrick, do not break the bricks by putting weight on them.

do price it reasonably.   new kiln prices usually are high because so much newer technology is included.